LSU freshman Jeremy Hill highlighted a breakout 124-yard, two-touchdown performance with a 50-yard scoring run in the fourth quarter, and the ninth-ranked Tigers (6-1, 2-1 SEC) handed No. 3 South Carolina (6-1, 4-1) its first loss of the season, 23-21 on Saturday night in Baton Rouge, La.
LSU substantially outgained South Carolina 406 yards to 211, but struggled to find the end zone. Three times, LSU settled for field goals after driving at least as far as the Gamecocks’ 5-yard line, and another drive to the South Carolina 15 stalled on a missed field goal.
But Hill’s long score with 5:03 left gave LSU a nine-point lead that proved a little too much to overcome.
Connor Shaw drove South Carolina for a late TD on a short pass to Bruce Ellington with 1:41 left, and the Gamecocks got the ball once more with 35 seconds left, but LSU’s defense held up.
(1) Alabama 42, Missouri 10: Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon gave the top-ranked Crimson Tide (6-0, 3-0 SEC) a pair of 100-yard rushers in the same game for the first time this season and the duo combined for five scores in a soggy, weather-delayed victory over the Tigers (3-4, 0-4) in St. Louis.
(4) Florida 31, Vanderbilt 17: Quarterback Jeff Driskel ran for 177 yards and three TDs, and the Gators (6-0, 5-0 SEC) beat the Commodores (2-4, 1-3) to remain undefeated going into their big showdown with No. 3 South Carolina.
(6) Kansas State 27, Iowa State 21: Quarterback Collin Klein ran for 105 yards and three TDs and the Wildcats (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) held off the Cyclones (4-2, 1-2) in Ames, Iowa, for their fifth straight win over the Cyclones.
(8) Ohio State 52, Indiana 49: Braxton Miller scored on a 67-yard run, threw TD passes of 60 and 46 yards and produced his third straight 100-yard rushing game, helping the Buckeyes (7-0, 3-0 Big Ten) escape with a win over the Hoosiers (2-4, 0-3) in Bloomington, Ind.
(12) Florida State 51, Boston College 7: EJ Manuel threw for a career-high 439 yards and four TDs and kicker Dustin Hopkins became the Atlantic Coast Conference’s career scoring leader as the Seminoles (6-1, 3-1 ACC) rebounded from their first loss of the season with a rout over the Eagles (1-5, 0-3) in Tallahassee, Fla.
(13) Oklahoma 63, (15) Texas 21: Damien Williams broke off a 95-yard TD run for the longest rush in Red River Rivalry history, Blake Bell powered his way in for four TDs and the Sooners (4-1, 2-1 Big 12) beat the Longhorns (3-2, 1-2) in Dallas for their second straight blowout win in the series.
(18) Louisville 45, Pittsburgh 35: Senorise Perry rushed for 101 yards and a career-high four TDs to help the Cardinals (6-0, 1-0 Big East) race by the Panthers (2-4, 0-3) in Pittsburgh.
(19) Mississippi State 41, Tennessee 31: Tyler Russell threw for 291 yards and two TDs, LaDarius Perkins added 101 rushing yards and a TD and the Bulldogs (6-0, 3-0) continued their best start since 1999 with a victory over the Volunteers (3-3, 0-3) in Starkville, Miss.
(20) Rutgers 23, Syracuse 15: Duron Harmon scooped up a blocked field-goal attempt and ran 75 yards for a tie-breaking TD early in the third quarter and the Scarlet Knights (6-0, 3-0 Big East) rode their defense and special teams to a victory over the Orange (2-4, 1-1) in Piscataway, N.J.
(21) Cincinnati 49, Fordham 17: Deven Drane ran 76 yards for a TD after picking up a fumble and Munchie Legaux threw two TD passes including a 78-yarder to Travis Kelce to lead the Bearcats (5-0) past the FCS Rams (4-3) in Cincinnati.
(25) Michigan 45, Illinois 0: Denard Robinson threw two TD passes and ran for two scores, leading the Wolverines (4-2, 2-0 Big Ten) to an easy win over the Fighting Illini (2-5, 0-3) in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Oklahoma State 20, Kansas 14: J.W. Walsh threw for 255 yards and accounted for two TDs, and the Cowboys (3-2, 1-1 Big 12) survived a wild fourth-quarter rally by the Jayhawks (1-5, 0-3) for a rain-soaked victory in Lawrence, Kan.
North Carolina 18, Miami 14: Giovani Bernard ran for two TDs and the Tar Heels (5-2, 2-1 ACC) survived 15 penalties to beat the Hurricanes (4-3, 3-1) in Miami.
Mississippi 41, Auburn 20: Quarterback Bo Wallace scored four TDs rushing, passing and receiving as the Rebels (4-3, 1-2) snapped a 16-game Southeastern Conference losing streak with a win over the Tigers (1-5, 0-4) in Oxford, Miss.
Iowa 19, Michigan State 16: Mark Weisman ran for 116 yards and a tying TD in the final minute of regulation, and the Hawkeyes (4-2, 2-0 Big 12) went on to beat the Spartans (4-3, 1-2) in double overtime in East Lansing, Mich.
Kent State 31, Army 17: Dri Archer rushed for 222 yards – including an explosive 87-yard TD romp late in the game – and completed a trick 24-yard TD pass as the Golden Flashes (5-1) defeated the Black Knights (1-5) in West Point, N.Y.
Wisconsin 38, Purdue 14: Montee Ball ran for a career-high 247 yards and scored three TDs to help the Badgers (5-2, 2-1 Big Ten) beat the Boilermakers (3-3, 0-2) in West Lafayette, Ind.
Air Force 28, Wyoming 27: Backup quarterback Kale Pearson scored on a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter on his only play of the game, lifting the Falcons (3-3, 2-1 MWC) over the Cowboys (1-5, 0-2) in Laramie, Wyo.
TCU 49, Baylor 21: Trevone Boykin threw for 261 yards and four TDs, all coming on third-down plays, and the Horned Frogs (5-1, 2-1 Big 12) rolled past the Bears (3-2, 0-2) in Waco, Texas, ending Baylor’s nine-game home winning streak.
Click here to comment on this story »