KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) — Police on Monday released the first round of names of more than 100 men accused of paying for sex with a Zumba instructor who’s charged with turning her dance studio into a brothel in this seaside community.
The release of 21 names followed 11th-hour legal wrangling, and some residents watched the news flash on their local evening TV news.
Kim Ackley, a local real estate agent, said that disclosure of the names will cause temporary pain for families but it’s only fair because others who are accused of embarrassing crimes don’t get breaks.
“What’s fair for one has to be fair for the other,” said Ackley, who believes she knows several people on the list. “The door can’t swing just one way.”
Residents had been anxiously awaiting the release of names since 29-year-old Alexis Wright was charged this month with engaging in prostitution in her dance studio and in an office she rented across the street. Police said she kept meticulous records suggesting the sex acts generated $150,000 over 18 months.
Wright, from nearby Wells, has pleaded not guilty to 106 counts of prostitution, invasion of privacy and other charges. Her business partner, 57-year-old insurance agent and private investigator Mark Strong Sr., from Thomaston, has pleaded not guilty to 59 misdemeanor charges.
Police said more than 150 people are suspected of being clients and many of them were videotaped without their knowledge. A judge ordered the release of names without ages or addresses to protect those who might have been secretly recorded, so their occupations and roles in the community, if any, couldn’t immediately be determined.
In town, residents heard the list could include lawyers, law enforcement officers and well-known people, heightening their curiosity.
The prostitution charges and ensuing publicity, which reached across the country and beyond, came as a shock in the small town of about 10,000 residents, which is well-known for its ocean beaches, old sea captains’ mansions and the neighboring town of Kennebunkport, home to the Bush family’s Walker’s Point summer compound.
The list of names was delayed Friday by legal action by an attorney representing two of the people accused of being johns. The lawyer, Stephen Schwartz, said releasing the names will ruin people’s lives, even if they’re acquitted of the misdemeanor charges against them.
Superior Court Justice Thomas Warren on Monday denied a motion seeking to block disclosure of the names. The Associated Press reached out Monday evening to men on the list, but it was difficult to confirm their identities without knowing their addresses.
Some town residents said they had suspicions about Wright, but others were in the dark about the life of the bubbly dance instructor who introduced many local women to the Latin-flavored dance and fitness program.
Ackley’s daughter, Alison Ackley, who participated in Wright’s class four or five times, said she had no inkling of any illegal activity.
“She was so young,” Alison Ackley said. “She had a lot going for her. It’s a shame she was hanging out with these older men and getting money from them.”
Resident Leonid Temkin said he had mixed feelings about publicizing the names because it could cause marriages to dissolve and men to lose their jobs.
“I think it’ll cause a lot of hardship,” he said.
But Kim Ackley said she believes interest will die down once all the names become public in the coming weeks.
“A year from now it won’t even be talked about, once it goes through the courts,” she said.
Associated Press reporter David Sharp in Portland contributed to this report.