October 15, 2012 in City

Then and Now photos: Glover Field

Peaceful Valley site hosted 1925 Indian Congress
 
On June 2, 1924, the Indian Citizenship Act gave official status to all Native Americans in hopes it would bring them into the mainstream of American life. This led to a series of regional gatherings, including the 1925 Indian Congress in Spokane. Five Northwest governors signed the invitation to 34 tribes. Twenty-eight tribes sent delegates, who came by saddle horse, train, wagon and motorcar in late October. Tepees were crowded onto fields and roadsides to accommodate the visitors, who each received a name badge and tickets for meals at local restaurants. Ten thousand Spokanites watched the horse parade, with riders in their finest regalia. There were long meetings between tribal elders and government officials. Friendly competitions included traditional games, a track meet, a beauty contest and a race to assemble a tepee. Gonzaga narrowly lost the football game to Haskell, the Indian college from Lawrence, Kan. The Spokane Betterment Organization, a group of business boosters, sponsored the event with a $12,000 budget. The event was held again in 1926, then abandoned. It was the largest gathering of Indians since the 1855 Council of Tribes in Walla Walla. – Jesse Tinsley

1925: With the Monroe Street Bridge in the background, Native Americans from the Spokane region meet in a large Indian Congress in Peaceful Valley.

Jesse Tinsley photo Buy this photo
Present day: Now called Glover Field, this grassy plain behind the community center in Peaceful Valley was once a camping spot for Indians catching salmon at the falls.


There are three comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email