Chemical spill cancels school at Lewis & Clark
Students and staff at Lewis and Clark High School were sent home for the day after a jug of hydrochloric acid was spilled down a stairwell this afternoon.
A student science assistant was transporting the acid when the spill happened.
The school was evacuated just after noon while Spokane Fire Department hazardous material crews responded and cleaned up the mess.
There were no reported injuries or facility damage because of the spill.
Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the spill was likely inadvertent and there was not a threat to students.
Buses were called to the school to bring students home for the day while the building airs out. School will resume on Wednesday morning.