Struggling WSU falls to Cal in volleyball
Washington State’s struggles in Pac-12 volleyball play continued Friday as California swept the Cougars in Pullman. Scores were 25-21 in all three sets.
Jaicee Harris had a match-high 16 kills and Kate Sommer added 14 digs for the Cougars, who are 10-11 overall but 0-9 in conference matches. The Golden Bears improved to 10-9 and 4-6.
It doesn’t get any easier for WSU, which hosts No. 2 Stanford on Sunday.
• Kylie Casselberry led a balanced attack with 10 kills and Andrea Heartberg had a match-high 13 digs as Community Colleges of Spokane (24-7, 8-2) swept Treasure Valley (4-24, 0-9) in a NWAACC match at Spokane Falls Community College. Scores were 25-21, 25-21 and 25-16.
The Sasquatch had 20 more kills than the Chukars.
• Host North Idaho was swept by Southern Idaho in a Scenic West Athletic Conference match that clinched the SWAC title for the Golden Eagles. Yang Yang had 12 kills and 10 digs and Rosie Robinson had 13 digs and two aces for NIC.
• Carly Wopat had 15 kills and Kyle Gilbert had 25 digs as No. 2 Stanford (17-2, 9-0) beat No. 5 Washington (16-2, 7-2) in a Pac-12 Conference match in Seattle. Scores were 10-25, 28-26, 10-25, 26-24 and 15-7.
Krista Vansant had a match-high 25 kills for the Huskies.
The Spokane Shock signed quarterback Erik Meyer and two other players. Meyer, a former Eastern Washington University quarterback, was injured during Spokane’s first game last year and missed the remainder of the season. He signed a one-year contract.
Offensive lineman Chris Pino signed a three-year deal and defensive lineman and linebacker Marc Schiechl agreed to a two-year contract.
BYU scored three times in the second half and the fifth-ranked Cougars (14-1-1, 3-0-1) beat Gonzaga (6-8-1, 0-3-1) 4-1 in a West Coast Conference match in Provo, Utah.
Kasey Rubosky scored the Bulldogs’ lone goal in the 48th minute.
• Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona played to a scoreless draw in a Big Sky Conference match in Flagstaff, Ariz. The Eagles are now 5-7-4 overall and 2-3-3 in the BSC. NAU is 5-7-5 overall and 3-2-3 in conference matches.
• Six different players scored for North Idaho as the Cardinals (8-3-1) blanked Western Wyoming (3-12-3) 6-0 in a nonconference match in Coeur d’Alene. Aubree Mercier led the way for the Cardinals with a goal and an assist.
• Betsy Hassett’s second goal of the match proved to be the difference as No. 14 California (13-3, 6-1) hung on to beat Washington (9-5-2, 2-4-1) 2-1 in a Pac-12 Conference match in Berkeley, Calif. Jaclyn Softli scored the Huskies’ lone goal in the 34th minute.
Washington’s Ben Fisk scored in the 71st minute and the 19th-ranked Huskies (9-3-3, 4-0-2) played to a 1-1 draw with California (7-5-2, 2-3-1) in Pac-12 Conference play in Berkeley, Calif.
With Chris Williams back with the team, Washington shot a 9-over 297 and is tied for sixth place after the opening round of the U.S. Collegiate Championship at The Golf Club of Georgia in Alpharetta, Ga. Williams (Moscow, Idaho) shot a 3-over 75 and is tied for 34th.