Here are the answers to this week’s newspaper edition of That’s News to You:
1. C. Washington’s last Republican governor was John Spellman, who lost his re-election campaign to Democrat Booth Gardner in 1984 and left office at the beginning of the following year.
2. E. HR2aa would guarantee the right to hunt, fish and trap. While 13 states have passed constitutional amendments involving the right to hunt and fish, only five have specifically included the right to trap.
3. D. Both are 30 years old, and the number of Spokane wineries has grown to more than 18.
4. A. Harvey is a police detective. The City Council voted to accept a settlement of his claim for being improperly terminated by former Chief Anne Kirkpatrick in 2011. He’s been rehired.
5. B. The Eagles ranked No. 1 in the Sports Network FCS poll, and in the coaches poll, after beating the then-No. 2 Bobcats last weekend.
Now that you’ve honed your news sense, try your hand at the online version of That’s News to You. Top entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and this week all entries go into drawings for four tickets to the EWU football game on Nov. 3 and an extra drawing for two tickets to the Gonzaga Bulldogs basketball game on Oct. 27. You can find the online version at spokesman.com/newsquiz.
Last week’s winners are Linda Stanescu, of Sprague, Wash., who won the gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and Charles Wisowaty, of Spokane, who won EWU football tickets.