The Idaho Vandals scored a pair of early goals, goalkeeper Liz Boyden stopped 4 of 5 shots on goal and the Idaho Vandals (5-12-1, 2-3-1) pulled off a 2-1 upset of the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (12-2-4, 3-1-2) in Western Athletic Conference women’s soccer action on Sunday in Ruston, La.
Katie Baran scored her third goal of the season, with an assist from Megan Lopez, just 1:55 into the match and Chelsea Small tallied her team-leading seventh netter at the 11:14 mark to give Boyden all the support she needed.
The loss snapped an 11-match unbeaten streak for the Lady Techsters.
• Torri Sitzman scored her first goal of the season – unassisted at the 14:24 mark – and keeper Jamie Walker stopped all six shots she faced to lead the Eastern Washington Eagles (6-7-4, 3-3-3) to a 1-0 victory over the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (2-11-2, 1-7-1) in a Big Sky Conference regular-season finale in Cedar City, Utah.
• Ifeoma Onumonu scored a pair of goals 152 seconds apart in the second half and the 18th-ranked California Golden Bears (14-3, 7-1) rallied for a 3-2 win over the Washington State Cougars (9-6-1, 3-4-1) in Pac-12 Conference play in Berkeley, Calif.
Nicole Setterlund and Korynn Blanksma scored for WSU.
• Tiara Pajimola scored in the first half and assisted on Hannah Bokma’s game-winner in the 82nd minute to lift the Whitworth Pirates (9-5-2, 9-1-2) to a 2-1 win over the visiting George Fox Bruins (2-12-2, 1-11) in Northwest Conference play.
• Dani Weatherholt scored in the first half and Julie Johnston found the net late in the second half to spark the 19th-ranked Santa Clara Broncos (9-3-4, 2-1-1) to a 2-0 win over the Gonzaga Bulldogs (6-9-1, 0-4-1) in West Coast Conference action in Santa Clara, Calif.
• Anna Valentine scored the game-winning goal in the 79th minute and assisted on Ellie Engel’s tally in the 10th minute to propel the North Idaho Cardinals (9-3-1) to a 2-1 victory over the Washington State club team in Moscow.
Andrew French scored two goals and Kekoa Mountcastle added a goal and an assist to power No. 9 Whitworth (12-0-3, 9-0-2) to a 6-0 win over visiting George Fox (2-13-1, 2-9) in Northwest Conference action.
The Pirates also had goals from Balin Larson, Robby Ubben and Nathan Fosket. Sam Selisch and Ryan Wood each had two assists.
Carly Wopat had 16 kills and seven blocks and Jordan Burgess added 16 kills to help the second-ranked Stanford Cardinal (18-2, 10-0) escape from Pullman with a 25-14, 25-17, 21-25, 21-25, 15-10 win over the Washington State Cougars (10-12, 0-10) in Pac-12 play.
Rachel Todorovich paced the Cougs with 18 kills.
The Idaho Vandals duo of Abid Akbar and Marius Cirstea defeated UNLV’s Ace Matias and Bernard Schoeman 8-5 in the championship doubles match of the ITA Mountain Regional in Las Vegas.
The win sends the Vandals pair to the ITA National Indoor Intercolligiate Championships on Nov. 8-11 in Flushing, N.Y.
Cheng-Tsung Pan shot a 2-under-par 213 to tie for second place and third-ranked Washington placed eighth at the U.S. Collegiate Championship in Alpharetta, Ga.
The Huskies finished at 883, nine strokes behind winner Georgia Tech. Stanford’s Patrick Rodgers was four shots clear to earn medalist.
The Nelson Leafs scored three times in the first period and breezed to a 4-1 win over the host Spokane Braves in KIJHL action.
Justin Loepker scored in the first for Spokane.
Click here to comment on this story »