October 25, 2012 in City

Fire damages north Spokane home

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Nicole Hensley photo

A fire started on the second floor of this home at 727 E. Illinois around 7 a.m. today.
(Full-size photo)

A fire that started around 7 a.m. today burned a hole in the roof of a north Spokane home and forced four residents to evacuate.

Residents of the home at 727 E. Illinois Avenue were able to escape with their belongings in baskets without any injuries.

Spokane Fire Department responded and knocked down the fire quickly. Fire damage was exclusive to the second floor and smoke damage on the first.

Homeowner Mike Cornelius, said they plugged in a heater this morning while they were getting ready for school and work and then it got hot. Once they smelled smoke, they got out.

Everyone is accounted for in the fire except for two cats who residents believe escaped the home during the fire.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email