October 27, 2012 in Nation/World

Parents reunited with son they thought dead

Associated Press
Associated Press photo

Bushr Al Tawashi is carried by his mother, Arin Al Dakkar, outside of a private Sigma TV station in Nicosia, Cyprus, on Friday.
(Full-size photo)

Cease-fire crumbles

 BEIRUT – The first day of a cease-fire in the Syrian conflict in observance of Eid al-Adha holiday went as many expected: It was violated within hours, and both sides blamed each other.

 The four-day truce, which began Friday with the Muslim holiday, was brokered by the international envoy to Syria and was intended to provide at least a brief respite to the bloody violence.

 Instead, opposition activists said, 49 people were killed across the country – a lower daily death toll than what has become the norm in Syria.

Los Angeles Times

NICOSIA, Cyprus – No one knows how long Bushr Al Tawashi wandered alone in the rubble of his home in the Syrian capital before rebel fighters found the toddler and handed him over to another family to look after.

Now, the 2-year-old is back with his parents – who believed he had been killed.

In their chaotic haste to escape fighting between government troops and Syrian rebels, Bushr’s parents had assumed the boy had been picked up by other members of their extended family who were staying with them when clashes broke out in the summer in the Damascus suburb of Al Kaboun.

Fighting prevented the parents from going back to search for Bushr once they arrived at a refugee camp and realized he was missing, said Stella Constantinou, a Cypriot lawyer.

Believing he did not survive the shelling, the boy’s grief-stricken father, Machhour Al Tawashi, and his wife, Arin Al Dakkar, arrived in Cyprus on Aug. 6 along with their two other sons, ages 4 and 6, in search of asylum.

Word the boy was safe eventually reached the parents, who now live in the coastal town of Limassol.

“You can imagine how they felt when they were told their son was alive after bearing all this guilt thinking that he was dead,” Constantinou said.

The family then sought Constantinou’s help to bring him to this Mediterranean island 65 miles west of Syria.

The Cypriot Foreign Ministry expedited the process of reuniting the boy with his family after his parents provided proof he was their child. Bushr’s father then traveled to Beirut, where he was reunited with the boy at the Cypriot Embassy. He brought Bushr back to the island on Thursday.

“I can’t describe how I felt when I saw him – just overjoyed at seeing him again,” Al Tawashi said Friday. “At first he didn’t recognize me, but then we embraced and he started calling out ‘Father, Father.’ ”

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email