The Washington State volleyball team made it five straight wins after beating Cal State-Fullerton and Nevada on the first day of the Wolf Pack Invitational Friday in Reno, Nev.
The Cougars (6-2) opened with a 25-20, 21-25, 25-19, 25-23 win over Cal State Fullerton (5-4). Jaicee Harris had 19 kills and 12 digs and Rachel Todorovich added 15 kills and four blocks for the Cougars.
Harris had 10 kills and Camryn Irwin dished out 35 assists in WSU’s 25-10, 25-11, 25-23 sweep of tournament-host Nevada (1-7).
• Kylie Edinger had 11 kills and Kennedy Wesley added eight digs as Gonzaga (4-3) beat Texas Southern (2-6) 25-13, 25-13, 25-15 at the UNLV Classic in Las Vegas.
• Eastern Washington remained winless after dropping two matches at the Iowa State Challenge in Ames, Iowa. The Eagles fell 25-10, 25-15, 25-15 to No. 18 Iowa State (5-3) and 25-17, 25-21, 25-19 to Syracuse (4-5).
Sophomore Kelsey Julian was a bright spot for EWU (0-10). She had a career-high nine kills and didn’t commit an error against Syracuse.
• Nicole Leonard’s match-high 14 kills and 11 digs weren’t enough as Luther (2-3) snuck past Whitworth (2-2) 25-23, 9-25, 22-25, 25-22, 15-13 at the Whitworth Classic in Spokane.
Jalana White added 10 kills and six digs for the Pirates.
• Tabi Love and Rachael Kidder combined for 21 kills as No. 3 UCLA (4-1) swept Idaho 25-15, 25-13, 25-13 at the Hawaii tournament in Honolulu. Allison Walker had 10 kills for UI (2-6).
• North Idaho swept Miami Dade and Laramie at the Southern Idaho tournament in Twin Falls, Idaho.
The Cardinals got 18 assists from Brooklynn Bradbury and nine kills apiece from HayleeMae Dennis and Marissa Verduci in their 25-21, 25-15, 25-14 win over Miami Dade.
NIC beat Laramie 25-14, 25-20, 20-17 as Yang Yang had eight kills and Kaitlyn Molloy had five blocks.
Robbie Ubben scored in the 60th minute to break a tie and No. 24 Whitworth (2-0-1) held on to beat Corban (1-1-1) 2-1 at the Whitworth Soccer Classic in Spokane.
Ubben’s goal came 15 seconds after the Warriors’ Josh Hamilton tied the match at 1. The Pirates’ Andrew French opened the scoring at 43:35.
Jaclyn Softli scored off an assist from Hillary Zevenbergen in the 56th minute to give No. 22 Washington (6-0) a 1-0 win over Gonzaga (5-2) in a nonconference match in Spokane.
• Leah DeMoss and Ally Witt scored two goals apiece to lead No. 4 Wheaton (4-0) to a 4-0 shutout of Whitworth (0-3) at the Whitworth Soccer Classic in Spokane. All four goals came in the first half.
• Jade Tarver scored in the 85th minute to lift Utah State (6-1-1) to a 1-0 win over Eastern Washington (0-5-1) at the Portland State tournament.
• Samhia Simao’s hat trick lifted Northwest College to a 4-2 win over North Idaho (2-3) in Powell, Wyo.
Simao scored two of her goals in the first half and then opened the second half with her third. NIC’s Kellsi Parson scored the final two goals of the match.
• Miami (4-2-1) scored three second-half goals and cruised past Idaho 3-0 in a nonconference match in Coral Gables, Fla.
Liz Boyden made six saves for the Vandals (2-5), who were outshot 22-5.
Blake Gal scored two goals in the Spokane Chiefs’ 4-0 win over the Everett Silvertips in Western Hockey League preseason action in Kennewick.
Liam Stewart and Todd Fiddler also scored for Spokane in the Tri-City Americans’ preseason tournament. Spokane plays Tri-City tonight.
Goaltenders Garret Hughson and Eric Williams combined to make 22 saves for the Chiefs.