Top 25 football roundup
Florida, Gillislee play spoiler in Texas A&M’s SEC debut
Mike Gillislee ran for 83 yards and two touchdowns and No. 24 Florida shut down Texas A&M’s offense in the second half in a 20-17 win on Saturday at College Station, Texas, in the Aggies’ first Southeastern Conference game after moving from the Big 12.
Florida (2-0) trailed 17-10 at halftime after a first half in which Texas A&M’s (0-1) offense under new coach Kevin Sumlin pretty much did what it wanted. Things changed in the second half as the Gators clamped down and forced punts each of A&M’s six possessions after the break.
Gillislee’s second touchdown of the day on a 12-yard run put Florida up 20-17 early in the fourth quarter.
Texas A&M freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel threw for 173 yards and ran for 60 more, but he couldn’t move A&M’s offense after halftime.
(1) Alabama 35, Western Kentucky 0: AJ McCarron passed for 219 yards and matched his career high with four touchdown passes to lead the Crimson Tide (2-0) to a win over the Hilltoppers (1-1) in Tuscaloosa, Ala. McCarron had two scoring tosses apiece to Christion Jones and Kevin Norwood.
(5) Oklahoma 69, Florida A&M 13: Damien Williams ran for 156 yards and four touchdowns in a record-setting Owen Field debut, Kenny Stills added 120 yards receiving and a score, and the Sooners (2-0) beat the Rattlers (0-2) in Norman, Okla. Williams’ rushing total was the most for a player in his first game at the Sooners’ home field, and he became only the fourth player at the school to eclipse 100 yards rushing in each of his first two games.
(6) Florida State 55, Savannah State 0: EJ Manuel passed for three touchdowns in the opening seven minutes, and the Seminoles’ (2-0) defense held the lower-division Tigers (0-2) to 28 yards in Tallahassee, Fla., on its way to a victory in a game called in the third quarter because of lightning. The Seminoles bolted to a 35-0 lead in the first quarter as Manuel completed 11 of 13 passes for 161 yards and five different Seminoles scored touchdowns.
(7) Georgia 41, Missouri 20: Aaron Murray hit Marlon Brown for two of his three touchdown passes, the second for the go-ahead score as the Bulldogs (2-0) recovered from a shaky start with 32 second-half points that spoiled the Tigers’ (1-1) SEC debut in a victory in Columbia, Mo. The Bulldogs trailed 17-9 early in the third quarter.
(9) South Carolina 48, East Carolina 10: Dylan Thompson completed 21 of 37 passes for 330 yards and three touchdowns to help the Gamecocks (2-0) beat the Pirates (1-1) in Columbia, S.C. Thompson’s first completion was a 53-yard pass to Damiere Byrd.
(11) Michigan State 41, Central Michigan 7: Andrew Maxwell threw for 275 yards and two touchdowns, and the Spartans (2-0) cruised to a win over the Chippewas (1-1) in Mount Pleasant, Mich. Le’Veon Bell had 70 yards on 18 carries with two touchdowns.
(12) Clemson 52, Ball State 27: DeAndre Hopkins caught three touchdown passes, Andre Ellington rushed for two scores and Spencer Benton kicked a 61-yard field goal to set an Atlantic Coast Conference record in the Tigers’ (2-0) victory over the visiting Cardinals (1-1).
(14) Ohio State 31, Central Florida 16: Braxton Miller became the first Ohio State quarterback to rush for three touchdowns in 34 years and he passed for another score to lead the Buckeyes (2-0) to a victory over the Knights (1-1) in Columbus, Ohio. Miller ran for 141 yards on 27 carries.
(15) Virginia Tech 42, Austin Peay 7: Virginia Tech used two big plays in the punt return game to overcome a lethargic offensive start and the Hokies (2-0) beat the Governors (0-2) in Blacksburg, Va. Kyshoen Jarrett’s 46-yard punt return set up a 2-yard touchdown run by Michael Holmes to give the Hokies a 7-0 lead.
(17) Texas 45, New Mexico 0: Quarterback David Ash scored on a 49-yard touchdown run and had receivers turn short throws into two more scores and the Longhorns (2-0) routed the Lobos (1-1) in Austin, Texas. Ash was 16 of 22 for a career-high 221 yards for Texas.
(19) Michigan 31, Air Force 25: Denard Robinson ran for 218 yards, threw for 208 and scored four times to help the Wolverines (1-1) hold off the Falcons (1-1) for a win in Ann Arbor, Mich. Cody Getz ran for 130 yards, with his third rushing TD and a two-point conversion pulling Air Force within three early in the fourth.
(20) TCU 56, Grambling State 0: Casey Pachall threw three touchdowns passes after the Horned Frogs (1-0) had already scored touchdowns on special teams and defense in the first 7 minutes of a victory over the Tigers (0-2) in Fort Worth, Texas. Pachall threw TD passes of 12 and 66 yards to Josh Boyce in the Horned Frogs’ first game as a Big 12 Conference member. Pachall played only the first half and was 9-of-9 passing for 201 yards.
(21) Kansas State 52, Miami 13: Collin Klein threw for 210 yards and ran for 71 more, accounting for four touchdowns and leading the Wildcats (2-0) to a rout of the Hurricanes (1-1) in Manhattan, Kan. John Hubert added 106 yards rushing and a touchdown, and Daniel Sams added two scores on the ground as the Wildcats rolled up 498 yards of total offense while holding Miami to 262.
(22) Notre Dame 20, Purdue 17: Tommy Rees came off the bench to lead Notre Dame on a last-minute, winning drive as the Irish (2-0) got a 27-yard field goal from Kyle Brindza with 7 seconds to go and beat the Boilermakers in South Bend, Ind. Purdue (1-1) had tied the game at 17 when Caleb TerBush threw a 15-yard TD pass to Antavian Edison with 2:12 left.
(23) Louisville 35, Missouri State 7: Teddy Bridgewater kept the Tigers’ (2-0) offense clicking by passing for a career-high 344 yards and two touchdowns, while the defense stifled the visiting Bears (0-2) in a rout. Eli Rogers led the way for Louisville with six receptions, while Charles Gaines had a game-high 73 yards.
© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.