The Whitworth volleyball team beat Whittier and Whitman at the Whit Classic on Saturday.
The Pirates (4-3) opened the day with a 25-23, 25-18, 29-27 win over Whittier. Jalana White led a balanced Whitworth attack with 10 kills and seven digs. Nicole Leonard added 16 digs and nine kills and Shawna Korshavn dished out 31 assists.
Leonard and White led the way in the Pirates’ next match – a 25-20, 16-25, 25-23, 25-21 win over Whitman (2-5).
Leonard had 17 kills and 17 digs and White had 14 kills and 19 digs.
Whitworth starts Northwest Conference play Friday at Pacific Lutheran.
• Jaicee Harris had 18 kills and seven digs and Rachel Todorovich added 11 kills and five blocks as Washington State (7-2) made quick work of Cal State Bakersfield (1-4) at the Wolf Pack Invitational in Reno, Nev.
Set scores were 25-18, 25-22 and 25-14.
Camryn Irwin dished out 34 assists and Kate Sommer had a match-high 16 digs for the Cougars.
The win was the sixth in a row for Washington State, which plays in the Air Force Academy Invitational next weekend.
• After a dominating performance over Prairie View A&M, Gonzaga (5-4) fell to UNLV (6-3) at the UNLV Classic in Las Vegas.
Kylie Edinger and Meredith Crenshaw combined for 24 kills in a 25-7, 25-19, 25-8 win over the Panthers. The win was the Bulldogs’ fourth consecutive sweep.
In their next match, UNLV recovered from an opening-set loss and beat GU 23-25, 25-17, 25-23, 25-19.
Savannah Blinn had a match-high 21 kills to lead the Bulldogs.
• Alex Lovell had 17 kills and 10 digs to lead Iowa (6-3) past Eastern Washington (0-11) 25-22, 26-24, 25-18 at the Iowa State Tournament in Ames.
EWU’s Cora Kellerman had 11 kills and 12 digs and Laney Brown handed out 30 assists.
• After a thrilling five-set win over Central Florida, North Idaho College (11-0) raced past Barton at the College of Southern Idaho Tournament in Twin Falls.
The Cardinals got 14 kills from Yang Yang and 23 assists and four aces from Ali Meehan in a 24-26, 25-19, 22-25, 25-22, 15-13 win over Central Florida.
Yang led the way again with 12 kills and five blocks in a 25-19, 25-16, 25-9 win over Barton.
• Community Colleges of Spokane (7-3) beat Clackamas and then fell to Linn-Benton at the Walla Walla Tournament.
Kate Hart had 16 kills against Linn-Benton and eight against Clackamas.
Mike Aviani scored twice to lead the Spokane Chiefs to a 5-3 win over the Tri-City Americans in Western Hockey League preseason action in Kennewick.
After Connor Chartier opened the scoring with a goal in the first period, Aviani scored both of his goals in the second.
Tied at 3 in the third period, Spokane’s Riley Whittingham and Markson Bechtold scored to put the game away.
Mike Chavez scored off an assist from Karl Muelheims (St. George’s) in the 34th minute and 24th-ranked Whitworth held on to beat seventh-ranked Wheaton (3-1) 1-0 on the final day of the Whitworth Classic in Spokane.
Kyle Novak made four saves for the Pirates (3-0-1).
• David Loeung scored just before the end of regulation to give Highline (3-0, 1-0) a 2-1 win over Community Colleges of Spokane (2-1, 0-1) in NWAACC action in Des Moines, Wash.
Travis Hill scored the Sasquatch’s lone goal in the 73rd minute.
Kelly Farell’s penalty-kick goal in the 107th minute gave No. 19 Augustana (4-0) a 2-1 double-overtime win over Whitworth at the Whitworth Classic in Spokane.
Tiara Pajimola scored the Pirates’ lone goal in the 85th minute to knot the match at 1.
The Pirates (0-4) open Northwest Conference play Saturday at home against Linfield.
• Tasha Luu’s 83rd minute goal broke a 1-all tie and gave Community Colleges of Spokane (2-0-1, 1-0) a 2-1 win over Highline (2-2-1, 0-1) in an NWAACC opener in Des Moines, Wash.
Alli Floyd opened the scoring for the Sasquatch with an unassisted goal in the 48th minute.
• Emilee Cordon scored early in the game and Alyssa Allen added a second-half goal as North Idaho edged Salt Lake 2-1 in Powell, Wyo.
Callie Martin assisted on Cordon’s goal, which came just three minutes into the contest. Allen’s goal was a rebound off a blocked shot.
NIC (3-3) hosts Wenatchee Valley on Wednesday.
Senior Graison Le’s hat trick lifted Coeur d’Alene (5-1-1, 2-0) to a 3-0 Inland Empire League win over host Lewiston (1-3, 0-3).
Le scored twice in the first half and completed the hat trick with an unassisted goal at 46:00.
Click here to comment on this story »