Police arrested a teenage boy for allegedly assaulting a woman with a mallet on the Centennial Trail near Mission Park Thursday.
A witness heard the woman yelling for help and chased the boy she identified as the assailant into the Spokane River, said police spokesman Officer Dan Waters. He got out on the other side of the river near Mission Avenue and South Riverton Avenue and was apprehended.
Police believe it was a stranger-on-stranger attack and don’t know what provoked it.
The dive team was looking for a weapon in the river, but no weapon has been recovered.
The teenager faces felony assault charges. The woman was taken to a local hospital, where she received stitches on her head.
Wildlife encounters end in car accidents
Encounters with wildlife led to injuries in accidents Wednesday night in Eastern Washington and North Idaho.
Two DeSmet, Idaho, women were injured when their car hit a moose on U.S. Highway 95 near Plummer around 7:40 p.m. A Hawley, Minn., man was injured a couple of hours earlier when he was stung by a bee while traveling south on state Highway 395 south of Ritzville.
In the Idaho accident, Andrea George, 20, was driving a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant south on Highway 95 when she hit the moose and went off the road. She was taken to Kootenai Medical Center and her passenger, Sophia George, was taken to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, a news release from the Idaho State Police said.
Sophia George, who the ISP said was not wearing a seat belt, was listed in critical condition Thursday night. Andrea George was wearing a seat belt, the release said.
In Washington, Gene E. Nelson, 73, was driving a 1996 Kenworth semitruck south on Highway 395 around 5:20 p.m. when he was stung by a bee, the Washington State Patrol reported. He attempted to pull over, but the truck left the road and rolled into a ravine, a news release said. Nelson, who was not wearing a seat belt, was treated and released from East Adams Rural Hospital.
I-90 closed at pass for part of Saturday
Interstate 90 at Snoqualmie Pass will be closed Saturday morning for 90 minutes to allow for removal of loose rock on the slopes above the freeway.
The closure is set to begin at 7 a.m. and continue to 8:30 a.m. between Hyak and Price Creek east of the pass.
The closure could result in delays and slow traffic over the pass, transportation officials said.
Two more cases of West Nile confirmed
OLYMPIA – State officials said West Nile virus has been confirmed in two more people in Washington state, bringing the total this year to four cases.
The state Health Department said Thursday that a Benton County woman in her 50s who contracted the virus in state was hospitalized. A teen boy who lives in Clark County got the virus while traveling.
Last week, officials announced two other cases, a Pierce County woman in her 70s was likely exposed to the virus while traveling out of state, and a Yakima man in his 30s hadn’t left the state.
Their test results were confirmed at the Washington State Public Health Laboratories in Shoreline.
Historic cabin burns in national forest
VANCOUVER, Wash. – A historic cabin in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest was destroyed Monday night by a fire that apparently started in the chimney.
The Columbian reported the cabin was built in 1926 as the Peterson Prairie Guard Station.
It rented for $50 a night and was popular with hikers, cross country skiers and snowshoers.
Defense rests in 1957 murder trial
SYCAMORE, Ill. – The defense has rested its case on behalf of a Seattle man accused of killing a 7-year-old northern Illinois girl in 1957.
Attorneys for 72-year-old Jack McCullough rested their case after calling just a few witnesses over a few hours on Thursday. The judge recessed shortly after the defense finished and suggested he could rule today after closing arguments.
McCullough has pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and killing Maria Ridulph in Sycamore on Dec. 3, 1957.
Pearl Harbor survivor interred in ship
HONOLULU – Glenn Lane lived to be 93 after surviving the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. On Wednesday, he was laid to rest inside the USS Arizona so he could return to the shipmates he left behind.
A Navy diver placed an urn with his ashes in a gun turret aboard the Arizona during a ceremony Wednesday. He’s the 36th survivor of the attack to be interred on the Arizona.
Lane was a seaplane radioman on Dec. 7, 1941, when bombs hit the Arizona. He later recalled being thrown into the water with no life jacket, and swimming as best he could. He saw Ford Island but didn’t think he could make it that far so he swam to the nearby USS Nevada instead. Then the Nevada was hit too.
His daughter, Trish Lane Anderson, said he always wanted to go back.
“When he got blown into the water and he got to the surface and he looked back, he said all he could see was body parts. It always stayed in his mind so crystal clear,” Anderson said. “That that was his dream – to be able to go back there.”
Lane retired in Oak Harbor, Wash., as a master chief after 30 years in the Navy. He suffered shrapnel wounds and burns, but didn’t receive a Purple Heart until 2004.
He died on Dec. 10.