Signed The Vancouver Canucks signed forward Alex Burrows to a four-year, $18 million contract extension Friday. The 31-year-old left wing had 28 goals and 24 assists in 80 games last season. Burrows has spent his entire seven-year NHL career with Vancouver, totaling 139 goals and 131 assists in 522 games.
• Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan signed a four-year, $21.2 million contract with the team, getting the deal in just before the NHL’s expected lockout. Doan had 22 goals and 28 assists last season to finish third on the team in scoring, notching his first career hat trick and 300th career goal early in the season.
• The Dallas Stars signed goaltender Kari Lehtonen to a five-year contract extension worth $29.5 million. The 28-year-old Lehtonen is coming off career bests in save percentage (.922) and goals-against average (2.33). He tied his career high with four shutouts.
• The Washington Capitals re-signed defenseman John Carlson to a six-year contract worth $23.8 million. The Capitals announced that Carlson will earn $3.8 million in the upcoming season and $4 million each season from 2013-14 through 2017-18.
• The Los Angeles Clippers signed veteran forward Matt Barnes. Barnes was the top-scoring reserve on the NBA’s lowest-scoring bench last season, averaging 7.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game for the Lakers
Suspended Michigan State women’s basketball players Kiana Johnson and Akyah Taylor have been suspended for the first nine games of the 2012-13 season. The school says NCAA guidelines “related to receipt of extra benefits” were violated.
Announced Roush Fenway Racing announced that Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will drive the No. 17 Ford next year on the Sprint Cup circuit in the wake of Matt Kenseth moving to Joe Gibbs Racing.
• Michael Waltrip and Clint Bowyer announced a deal with Peak Motor Oil to be the primary sponsor on Bowyer’s No. 15 Toyota for three races in each of the next three Sprint Cup seasons.