Five places where moms, daughters can just have fun
1. Arizona. Mothers and daughters can tee it up on a spectacular course that’s ranked as one of the country’s top 10 and is also noted as “women friendly.” The golf club at the Boulders Resort in Carefree, Ariz., offers a picturesque desert environment. The Fore Ladies program begins on a Friday evening with a short game intro provided by an LPGA instructor. The remainder of the weekend includes instruction on full-swing, putting and course etiquette followed by nine holes of golf on the Jay Moorish-designed course each day. Later, relax in the resort’s full-service Golden Door Spa or by the pool.
Contact: (480) 488-9009; (866) 397-6520; theboulders.com.
2. Clearwater, Fla. Take advantage of the Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort and Spa’s Dolphin Tale Package. Expect two tickets to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, home of Winter, a now-famous dolphin whose inspirational story was turned into a book and movie; a cool tote bag; and a copy of the book “Winter’s Tale.” Later, head to the beach or relax in your room, where a full kitchen, an outdoor balcony and seaside view make sharing time special. Your stay helps fund the Clearwater Marine Aquarium’s program to feed and care for Winter and her friends.
Contact: (800) 233-1234; clearwaterbeach.hyatt.com.
3. St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Test your seafaring skills in an Island Hopping Scavenger Hunt. With your boating butler as your secret weapon, you’ll learn about the regional island geography and wildlife as you cruise through the pristine waters of the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. While at the Westin St. John Resort and Villas, check out the Westin kids club and newly opened teen center. Available through Dec. 31.
Contact: (866) 716-8108; westinresortstjohn.com
4. Ojai, Calif. A family favorite, this elegant resort has welcomed guests since the 1920s. Located in the shadow of the Topa Topa Mountain range in the eclectic town of Ojai, the Five Diamond Ojai Valley Inn & Spa has much to offer mothers and daughters seeking time together. The artistic pair will enjoy a day spent in the Artist Cottage, where the artist in residence can assist in the pursuit of creativity. Explore silk scarf painting, collage and mobile making, drawing, water color and mixed media. Ask about packages.
Contact: (855) 697-8780; ojairesort.com
5. Yoga and surfing in Mexico and Costa Rica. Join outfitter Mountain Travel Sobek for seaside yoga, massages, horseback riding, snorkeling and surfing in Todos Santos, Mexico, an artist colony brimming with galleries and unique dining. Or head to the beaches of Mexico and Costa Rica with Three Jewels Retreats for yoga, surf lessons, stand-up paddle boarding, locally sourced meals and afternoon siestas.
Contact: mtsobek.com; threejewelsretreats.com