As many as 2 million older Americans are abused in various ways each year, experts estimate.
The majority of cases are at the hands of relatives or other caregivers.
According to the New York City mayor’s office on domestic violence, these are some forms, besides physical assault, that elder abuse can take:
• Inappropriate use of drugs and physical restraints.
• Treating the elderly person like a small child.
• Failure to provide sufficient food, clothing, shelter, personal hygiene, medication, comfort or safety.
• Isolating the person from friends, family, other social activities.
• Deserting the person.
• Misusing the person’s funds, property and assets.
Click here to comment on this story »