That’s NEWS to You quiz
If you kept up with the news last week – or even if you didn’t – you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Test your memory with our newspaper version, then go online to spokesman.com/ newsquiz to take the interactive quiz. Top entries in the online quiz go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for two movie tickets.
1. How did the former president of Spokane’s parks commission, Aubrey L. White, describe the stretch of land along the Spokane River in 1913?
A. “Dead landscape”
B. “Flanked by lawn and rose bush”
C. “Haven of lilac blooms”
D. “Bleak ashpile”
2. Which of the following is not a bill making its way through the Washington Legislature this session?
A. Serving beer and wine in theaters.
B. Serving free wine during massages.
C. Tasting fine whiskey at the grocery store.
D. Lowering the age requirement to buy alcohol to 20.
3. Why did the Federal Aviation Administration delay the closure of Felts Field’s air traffic control tower?
A. Officials felt bad about eliminating jobs.
B. Legal challenges emerged to the closure of 149 towers nationwide, including Felts Field.
C. Temporary funds were allocated from Medicaid.
D. A petition to delay the closure acquired 100,000 signatures.
4. What sports amenities are not featured at the Spokane Club’s Spokane Valley facility, which will likely be on the market soon?
A. Tennis courts
B. Indoor pool
C. Indoor soccer field
5. Which state currently has the best mountain snowpack in the western half of the United States?
Check your work
Find the answers, explanations and last week’s winners on page B3.