L.A. man sentenced in Seattle terror plot
SEATTLE – A man who helped plot an attack with machine guns and grenades on a Seattle military complex was sentenced in federal court Monday to 17 years in prison, the U.S. attorney’s office said.
Walli Mujahidh, 34, of Los Angeles, pleaded guilty in December to conspiracy to kill officers of the U.S., conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction and unlawful possession of a firearm.
“This defendant was a cold-hearted, enthusiastic partner in this murderous scheme. He talked at length in recorded conversations about the innocent people he planned to gun down,” U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan said. “Even after his arrest he boldly tried to justify his plot. I am thankful this plot was disrupted, and again thank the FBI and Seattle Police Department.”
A co-defendant in the case, Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, 35, of Seattle, was sentenced last month to 18 years in prison. He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction and murder U.S. officers.
Law enforcement was alerted to the plot by a person who was approached by Abdul-Latif about supplying guns and who acted as an informant.
The conspirators were recorded on audio and video discussing an assault on the Military Entrance Processing Station in south Seattle where the military processes enlistees. The station houses military and civilian employees and a federal daycare.
In the recordings, the men discuss how they wanted to gun down people in revenge for atrocities by U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, prosecutors said.
The two men were arrested in June 2011 when they arrived at a warehouse to pick up three machine guns. The weapons had been rendered inoperable by law enforcement. The informant, a repeat felon and convicted sex offender, was paid $90,400 for his cooperation.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.