UPDATE: 10:23 p.m.: Boston police searching suburb apartment for bombing clues
BOSTON (AP) - A television station is reporting that police are searching an apartment in a Boston suburb, and authorities confirm the search is part of the investigation into the explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
WBZ-TV reports that police are searching the apartment in Revere. Massachusetts State Police confirmed that a search warrant was served Monday night but provided no further details.
The FBI is leading the investigation into the explosions, which killed three people and injured more than 140 others.
UPDATE: 8:44 p.m.: Child among the dead, scores hospitalized
BOSTON — Children are among the dead and wounded from the bombs detonated at the Boston Marathon finish line Monday afternoon. An 8-year-old boy was killed and Boston Children’s Hospital reported that those treated there included a 9-year-old girl, a 7-year-old boy, a 12-year-old, and a 2-year-old. There are 17 people in critical condition and 25 more in serious condition. The injuries include amputations.
UPDATE: 7:43 p.m.: FBI, Boston police looking at persons of interest
BOSTON (AP) — The FBI is taking charge in the criminal investigation of the explosions at the Boston Marathon.
Persons of interest have been found. Authorities refuse to call them suspects.
UPDATE: 5:58 p.m.: Third person confirmed dead
BOSTON (AP) — Boston police: At least 3 people killed in marathon bombing.
UPDATE: 4:43 p.m.: Members of Congress call it act of terrorism
WASHINGTON (AP) — With little official information to guide them, members of Congress said Monday there was scant or no doubt that the deadly Boston Marathon explosions were acts of terrorism and vowed to bring anyone responsible to justice.
“We just don’t know whether it’s foreign or domestic,” said Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security.
“My understanding is that it’s a terrorist incident,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein told reporters, saying she had been in contact with U.S. intelligence agencies. Feinstein, who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, said intelligence officials reported no advance warning that “there was an attack on the way.”
Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, the senior Republican on the panel, issued a written statement that said, “As the evidence mounts that this was a terrorist attack, our intelligence and law enforcement agencies must do whatever is necessary to find and interrogate those responsible so we can prevent similar attacks.”
The remarks stood in contrast to President Barack Obama’s own brief statement at the White House, where he made no mention of terrorists or terrorism as a possible cause of the bombings.
UPDATE: 3:45 p.m.: Spokane Police Chief reassures community
Spokane Police Chief Frank Straub is promising the Spokane community they’ll be safe during upcoming events.
“The attack today in Boston, to me, is something very personal,” Straub said. His son attended college in Boston, he said, and Straub was at the World Trade Center on 9/11. He’s also friends with Boston’s police chief, Edward Davis.
“Terrorism threats are something I’m very familiar with,” he said. “This event has made it very clear the threat of terrorism, and the threats to large events has not gone away.”
Straub plans an increased police presence around high traffic areas where people gather such as malls, he said.
He said police are “certainly cognizant of the large events to come,” and noted that officers will be present along the Bloomsday route as well as at the start and finish lines, but he would not give any specifics about security.
“We will guarantee a safe event or events,” Straub said.
Straub developed and implemented counter-terrorism plans involving 42,000 officers and 12,000 civilians in New York. He also organized security for a Super Bowl game in Indianapolis.
Straub is receiving regular briefings about the Boston Marathon bombing from the regional Joint Terrorism Task Force, which includes local and federal authorities.
UPDATE: 3:13 p.m.: Obama pledges federal help
“We will find out who did this, and we will hold them accountable,” President Barack Obama said in a national televised address.
UPDATE: 2:36 p.m.: CNN: JFK incident unrelated
CNN, citing Boston Police, is saying that the incident at the JFK Library was not related to the explosions at the Boston Marathon site.
UPDATE: 2:15 p.m.: Boston Globe: More than 100 injured
Injury estimates have varied widely since the explosions first occurred, but the Boston Globe is reporting more than 100 people have been injured.
UPDATE: 2 p.m.: No injuries stemming from third explosion
Boston police say there’s been a third explosion in the city, following two blasts near the finish line of the Boston Marathon that killed two people and injured many others.
Police Commissioner Edward Davis says authorities aren’t certain that the explosion at the JFK Library was related to the other blasts, but they’re treating them as if they are.
David says there are no injuries stemming from the third explosion.
He urged people to stay indoors and not congregate in large groups.
UPDATE: 1:57 p.m.: Third explosion at JFK Library
Boston police commissioner says there has been a third explosion at JFK Library.
UPDATE: 1:57 p.m.: No cellphone service
A law enforcement official says cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.
Authorities have not identified what caused the explosives that erupted at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.
UPDATE: 1:48 p.m.: No fly zone over explosion site
The Federal Aviation Administration is warning pilots that it has created a no-fly zone over the site of two explosions at the annual Boston marathon.
The agency said in a notice issued today about an hour after the explosions that a no-fly zone with a 3.5-mile radius has been created over 811 Boylston Street. The zone is limited to flights under 3,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than most airliners would fly except when taking off or landing.
The notice says the no-fly zone is effective immediately, and will remain in effect until further notice. Pilots planning flights were urged to call their local flight service station.
UPDATE: 1:42 p.m.
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is directing her agency to provide “whatever assistance” necessary in the wake of two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
BOSTON — Two bombs exploded near the finish of the Boston Marathon today, killing two people, injuring at least 22 others and sending authorities rushing to aid wounded spectators, race organizers and police said.
One runner, a Rhode Island state trooper, said he saw at least two dozen people with very serious injuries, including missing limbs.
A senior U.S. intelligence official says two more explosive devices have been found near the scene of the Boston marathon where two bombs detonated earlier.
The official said the new devices were being dismantled.
It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.
The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.
Meanwhile, the Federal Aviation Administration is warning pilots that it has created a no-fly zone over the site of the explosions.
The agency said in a notice issued Monday about an hour after the explosions that a no-fly zone with a 3.5-mile radius has been created over 811 Boylston Street. The zone is limited to flights under 3,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than most airliners would fly except when taking off or landing.
The notice says the no-fly zone is effective immediately and will remain in effect until further notice.
Police in Los Angeles, New York City, London and other cities worldwide are stepping up security following the explosions.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore says the department has opened an emergency operations center, increased patrols for transit and other critical areas including the Los Angeles Dodgers game Monday night
Chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Monday that critical response teams are deployed around the city. Officials are stepping up security at hotels and other prominent locations.
British police also say they are reviewing security plans for Sunday’s London Marathon. It’s the next major international marathon. A London Metropolitan Police spokesman says police are working with marathon officials to review security plans.
About two hours after the winners crossed the line in Boston, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
The Boston Marathon said that bombs caused the two explosions and that organizers were working with authorities to determine what happened.
Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners. Authorities went onto the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.
Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state trooper from Greenville, R.I., had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the first blast.
“I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor,” he said. “We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. … At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing.”
A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.
“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg.
Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world’s oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.
“There are people who are really, really bloody,” said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. “They were pulling them into the medical tent.”
Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.
“I was expecting my husband any minute,” she said. “I don’t know what this building is … it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don’t know what it was. I just ducked.”
Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.