The Gonzaga baseball team rallied for a 10-6 victory over Saint Mary’s on Sunday in Spokane for its eighth straight victory.
The first-place Bulldogs (23-10-1, 11-4 West Coast Conference) used a six-run fifth inning to turn a 5-2 deficit into an 8-5 lead they would not relinquish. The victory completed Gonzaga’s second consecutive conference series sweep.
Steven Halcomb was 4 for 5 with an RBI and Marco Gonzales was 3 for 4 with four runs driven in to lead the Bulldogs’ offense.
Reliever Taylor Jones (1-0) earned his first career victory, allowing a run on two hits over 1 1/3 innings.
Gonzaga hosts Washington State on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
• Tyler Crawford went the distance for No 25. Arizona as the Wildcats beat Washington State 7-3 in Pac-12 play in Pullman.
Crawford (4-1) scattered nine hits, walked one and struck out three. Scott Simon (3-1) gave up seven runs over 5 2/3 innings for the Cougars (18-15, 5-7 Pac-12).
WSU scored all of its runs in the first inning. Trek Stemp drove in two runs with a bases-loaded single and P.J. Jones had an RBI single.
• Whitworth lost its fifth game in a row and for the 12th time in 13 games, a 6-3 Northwest conference setback to Pacific in Forest Grove, Ore.
Nick Scourey (1-5) took the loss for the Pirates (10-12-1, 5-13 NWC), allowing six runs – five earned – on nine hits over six innings. He struck out two and walked two.
Gerhard Muelheims went 3 for 3 and scored twice and Tyler Pfeffer was 2 for 4 with an RBI for Whitworth.
• Stanford’s John Hochstatter (2-1) pitched a complete game and the Cardinal rode a six-run second inning to a 12-2 victory over Washington in a Pac-12 game in Stanford, Calif.
Michael Camporeale was 3 for 3 with his third home run of the week for the Huskies (9-24, 4-8 Pac-12).
The Whitworth softball team dropped a pair of Northwest Conference games to George Fox on senior day at Marks Field. The Bruins won the first game 6-5 in eight innings and the second 12-1 in five innings.
Heather Hesselgesser and Jessica Ross both went 2 for 4 in the first game, with Hesselgesser driving in two runs. Jamie Brunner drove in the lone run for the Pirates (20-18, 14-12 NWC) in the second game.
Taylor Gilbert (5-8) took the loss in Game 1, and Riley Fritz (12-6) took the loss in Game 2.
• Second-ranked Arizona State beat No. 14/13 Washington 2-1 in a Pac-12 contest in Tempe, Ariz., giving the Sun Devils a series victory.
Kaitlin Inglesby (17-5) went the distance for the Huskies (32-12, 10-5 Pac-12), allowing two runs on nine hits. Kimberlee Souza drove in Washington’s run with an RBI single in the third inning.
Medalist Joey DeGroff led the Whitworth men’s golf team to a win at the Washington Cup at Moses Pointe Golf Course.
DeGroff shot a 3-under 69, four strokes better than second-place finisher Seth Nickerson of Pacific Lutheran. The Pirates’ Stephen Plopper shot 5-over 77 for third place, and Austin Billeter and Lyle Rudnicki tied for fifth at 7-over 79.
Whitworth finished at 21-over 309 as a team, five strokes better than PLU and 24 better than Whitman.
• Blake Snyder finished tied for sixth place and led Washington State to a sixth-place team finish at the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa.
Snyder shot a 2-under 70 in Sunday’s final round and finished at even par. The Cougars finished at 33 over as a team, 30 strokes behind champion Kansas.