August 4, 2013 in City

Photo: History lesson

 

Ready to race: Unlimited hydroplanes are lowered by crane onto Lake Coeur d’Alene, near Tubbs Hill, for the 1962 Diamond Cup race. The first Diamond Cup was held on the lake in 1958 with about 30,000 spectators. The last race was held in 1968, featuring racing boats from all over the country. Web extras: Browse a large-format photo gallery of past hydroplane races on Lake Coeur d’Alene at spokesman.com/picture-stories , and see a timeline of local hydroplane racing through the years at spokesman.com/timelines .


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email