August 10, 2013 in City

Transformer failure leads to garage fire

From Staff Reports
 
Map of this story's location

A detached garage caught fire after a transformer on a North Spokane power pole failed Saturday.

At 1 p.m., Spokane Fire received a call that a transformer was broken and had fallen to the ground at 908 W. Carlisle Ave., Asst. Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said. The transformer had exploded, catching the power pole on fire. The flames had spread to the garage but did only minor damage.

No one was hurt during the fire.

Avista Utilities responded to several power outages Friday night and early Saturday morning as lightning left more than 7,000 without power. There are still about 50 Avista customers without power due to the storm, according to Avista’s website.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus