August 11, 2013 in City

In brief: Transformer blast sparks garage fire

From Staff Reports
 

A detached garage caught fire after a transformer on a north Spokane power pole exploded Saturday.

At 1 p.m., the Spokane Fire Department received a call that a transformer was broken and had fallen to the ground at 908 W. Carlisle Ave., Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said. The transformer had exploded, catching the power pole on fire. The flames had spread to the garage but did only minor damage.

No one was hurt during the fire.

Avista Utilities also responded to several power outages Friday night and early Saturday as lightning damage left more than 7,000 without power.

Motorcyclist dies following crash

A Spokane motorcyclist was killed Friday night when his Yamaha went off St. Joe River Road in Shoshone County.

Robert D. Hayne, 63, was riding westbound near Calder, Idaho, shortly after 10 p.m. when he drove off the road into some brush and was thrown from the motorcycle, according to the Idaho State Police.

Hayne, who was wearing a helmet, died at the scene, the ISP said.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email