Here are the answers to this week’s newspaper edition of the quiz:
1. C. The Diamond Cup hydroplane races are returning to Lake Coeur d’Alene after being absent since 1968.
2. B. West Nile virus is transmitted by infected mosquitoes. The infected mosquito detected at Fairchild is at least the third this year in Eastern Washington.
3. B. Kennewick Man was named for the city near the part of the riverbank where the skeleton was found by two college students in 1996.
4. E. Owner Marty Judnich said he was bringing together two of his passions, doughnuts and zombies. The shop’s offerings include coffin-shaped doughnuts and brain-shaped fritters.
5. D. A-Rod was given a 211-game suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs. He’s appealing the suspension, so he’s still playing for the New York Yankees.
On the Web: Now that you’ve warmed up your news sense, try the online quiz at www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top entries go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel and all entries this week go into a drawing for two sets of Spokane Indians tickets.
To give our newspaper readers a boost, some of these questions and answers appear in the online quiz.
Last week’s winners: Mary Lou McCullum, of Spokane Valley, won the $50 Davenport gift card; Michael Folsom, of Cheney, won three tickets to a Spokane Indians game; and Erica VanNatta, of Spokane, won two Spokane Indians tickets.