CEBU, Philippines – Divers combed through a sunken ferry today in a search for more than 200 people missing from an overnight collision with a cargo vessel near the central Philippine port of Cebu that sent passengers jumping into the ocean and leaving many others trapped.
At least 28 were confirmed dead and hundreds rescued.
The captain of the ferry MV Thomas Aquinas, which was approaching the port late Friday, ordered the ship abandoned when it began listing and then sank just minutes after colliding with the MV Sulpicio Express, coast guard deputy chief Rear Adm. Luis Tuason said.
The ferry carried 752 passengers, including children and infants, and 118 crew.
He said 213 were still missing and feared dead, some of them possibly trapped inside the vessel that sank in waters about 100 feet deep off Talisay city in Cebu province, about 350 miles south of Manila.
Twenty-eight people, including children, were confirmed dead and 629 passengers and crew had been rescued.