Portland tops Chiefs in preseason opener
The Portland Winterhawks scored three first-period goals and beat the Spokane Chiefs 6-1 in a Western Hockey League preseason opener Friday night in Everett.
Rookie defenseman Matt Sozanski scored for the Chiefs, who suited up 16 rookies, including goalies Tyson Verhelst, who stopped 21 of 23 shots, and Trevor Martin, 19 of 23.
The Chiefs play Everett today.
Portland State used an 11-3 run in the first set to gain control and the Vikings (1-0) went on to sweep Gonzaga (0-1) at the Northwest Challenge at Portland. Set scores were 25-17, 25-19 and 25-13.
Meredith Crenshaw led GU with nine kills.
Also at the tournament, Washington beat Boise State in straight sets.
• Martenne Bettendorf had a game-high 18 kills and No. 8 Oregon (1-0) topped Eastern Washington 25-20, 25-14, 28-26 at the Oregon Classic in Eugene.
Melissa Waelter tallied a team-high nine kills for the Eagles (1-0).
• Idaho (1-1) swept Montana State then lost in five sets to Wyoming (2-0) in the season-opening Wyoming Invite in Laramie, Wyo.
The Vandals’ Alyssa Schultz had 17 kills and 10 blocks against Wyoming.
• Whitworth opened the season with two losses at the Pacific Coast Classic in Claremont, Calif. The Pirates were swept by host Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and later fell to Cal Lutheran.
• Community Colleges of Spokane fell to Linn-Benton and host Chemeketa in the Chemeketa Tournament in Salem.
Brad Jacobson’s header in the 63rd minute broke a scoreless tie and Washington held on to beat Gonzaga 1-0 in a nonconference season-opening match in Spokane.
The Bulldogs outshot the Huskies 14-10 but couldn’t get anything past Huskies keeper Spencer Richey.
• Travis Hill and Alex Opland scored late and Community Colleges of Spokane rallied to top Highline 2-1 in a nonconference match at Tukwila.
Hill scored in the 75th minute to knot the match at 1 and Opland scored the game-winner in the 88th minute. Chris Fitzner assisted on both goals.
Micaela Castain had two goals and two assists to guide Washington State (2-0) to a 5-0 nonconference win over Idaho (0-3) in Pullman.
Castain moved into fourth place all-time at WSU with 25 goals. WSU will host Eastern Washington on Sunday at 1 p.m.
• Tulsa (3-0) scored in less than a minute and added two late goals in a 3-0 nonconference win over Gonzaga (1-1) in Tulsa, Okla.
• Nevada (1-1) scored a goal in each half and blanked Eastern Washington 2-0 in a nonconference match in Sacramento, Calif.
The Hornets’ Mackenzie Henke scored in the 45th minute and Chrisalyn Fonte added an insurance goal in the 83rd minute.
The Eagles (0-3) were outshot 24-6.
• Tiara Pajimola and Kristin Wucherer scored two early goals and Whitworth held on to beat Cal Lutheran 2-0 in a nonconference season-opener in Spokane. Andrea Stump made nine saves for the Pirates, who were outshot 21-7.
• Kayla Williams’ 27th-minute goal proved the difference in Northwest Nazarene’s 1-0 nonconference win over North Idaho.
• Community Colleges of Spokane’s Tasha Luu scored in the 84th minute and the Sasquatch played to a 1-all tie with Highline at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila, Wash.