That’s NEWS to you quiz
If you followed the news last week, and maybe even if you didn’t, you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz.
Try the newspaper version, then go to www.spokesman.com/newsquiz for our online version. Top entries in that version go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets.
1. Where was a commemorative ring owned by a Seattle University hall of fame basketball player found after it was stolen in a Spokane burglary?
A. Under a cushion on a couch bought at a thrift store.
B. In an aluminum can destined for the recycling bin.
C. In a storage unit with other stolen property worth thousands of dollars.
D. For sale in a Spokane pawn shop.
E. Can’t fool me. The thieves had a change of heart and returned the ring.
2. Boeing says it’s restructuring its research operations and moving jobs out of Washington and California. Where are the jobs moving?
A. New England
C. The South and Midwest
3. What recent change at Spokane Public Schools is “helping us build a vision for our students,” according to a district official?
A. Bringing an optometrist to each elementary school to make sure each child who needs them has glasses.
B. A program matching middle school students with mentors.
C. Paying for each high schooler to take college entrance exams.
D. Approval of plans to build a new high school.
E. Restoration of arts and music programs cut during the economic downturn.
4. Scientists announced recently that in August 2010, Antarctica hit a record low temperature ever recorded on Earth. What was it?
A. minus 170.2 degrees Fahrenheit
B. minus 154 degrees Fahrenheit
C. minus 142.4 degrees Fahrenheit
D. minus 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit
E. minus 122.3 degrees Fahrenheit
5. Denver Broncos kicker Matt Prater kicked an NFL-record field goal last Sunday. How long was it?
A. 57 yards
B. 64 yards
C. 68 yards
D. 73 yards
E. Can’t fool me. He missed the try for the record.
Check your work
Find answers, explanations and last week’s winners on page B9.