NBA: Russell Westbrook had 31 points and the Oklahoma City Thunder used a strong second quarter to beat the San Antonio Spurs 113-100 on the road Saturday night for their ninth straight victory.
Reggie Jackson had 21 points, Kevin Durant added 17 and Serge Ibaka had 14 points and 14 rebounds for Oklahoma City.
Tony Parker scored 23 points, and Marco Belinelli and Tim Duncan had 17 points apiece for San Antonio, which took only its second home loss of the season. The Spurs had won six of seven entering Saturday’s game.
• Blazers edge Pelicans : Damian Lillard hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:27 to play and finished with 29 points to lead the Trail Blazers to a 110-107 victory over New Orleans in Portland.
• Warriors down Lakers : David Lee had 19 points and 10 rebounds, Andrew Bogut grabbed 20 rebounds and Golden State shook off a slow start to rout the depleted Los Angeles Lakers 102-83 in Oakland, Calif.
Buckeyes hold off Notre Dame
Men’s basketball: Lenzelle Smith Jr. scored seven of his nine points in the final 33 seconds and No. 3 Ohio State rallied from an eight-point deficit with 1:54 to play to beat Notre Dame 64-61 in the BlackRock Gotham Classic at New York’s Madison Square Garden.
Crosby sparks Penguins’ victory
NHL: Sidney Crosby scored his 20th goal of the season, helping Pittsburgh beat visiting Calgary 4-3 for its season-high seventh straight victory.
• Wings take out Leafs : Daniel Alfredsson scored the shootout winner as Detroit won 5-4 at Toronto. The Red Wings had lost 11 straight shootouts, six this season.
• Vermette carries Coyotes : Antoine Vermette completed a hat trick at 2:23 of overtime to lift the Phoenix Coyotes past host Ottawa 4-3.
• Getzlaf hat trick lifts Ducks : Ryan Getzlaf scored three goals and Anaheim rallied for its team-record eighth straight win, beating the Islanders 5-3 in New York.
• Lecavalier returns : Philadelphia Flyers center Vincent Lecavalier returned to action at the Columbus Blue Jackets Saturday after missing nine games with a back injury. Defenseman Nicklaus Grossman missed the game with the flu and right wing Steve Downie will be out seven to 10 days with an upper-body injury.
No. 6 Cardinal upend No. 3 Volunteers
Women’s basketball: Amber Orrange scored on a left-handed layin and converted a free throw after drawing a foul with 25.8 seconds left, helping seal the No. 6 Cardinal’s 76-70 victory against No. 3 Tennessee in Stanford, Calif. Chiney Ogwumike had 32 points and 20 rebounds for the Cardinal.
Martinez retains title with win in 9th round
Boxing: Kiko Martinez defended his IBF junior featherweight title, stopping Jeffrey Mathebula in the ninth round in Elche, Spain. Martinez’ record is 30-4 with 22 KOs.
• Hall defeats Malinga: Stuart Hall claimed the vacant IBF bantamweight title early today, unanimously outpointing Vusi Malinga. Hall received winning scores of 116-111, 117-110 and 117-110 in Leeds, England.
Grand View triumphs for NAIA crown
College Football: Derek Fulton threw four touchdown passes and ran for another score to help Grand View win the NAIA championship 35-23 over the University of the Cumberlands in Rome, Ga.
Bayern completes club’s best season
Soccer: Bayern Munich capped the greatest year in club history by beating Raja Casablanca 2-0 in Marrakech, Morocco, to win its first Club World Cup. Dante and Thiago were the goal scorers for the German and European Champions.
Duncan, Smith win World Cup races
Skiing: Canadian David Duncan claimed his first World Cup victory in San Candido, Italy, while women’s world champion Fanny Smith took the overall lead of the skicross standings with her first win of the season. Armin Niederer maintained his lead in the men’s standings by finishing fourth.
U.S. swims past Europe in Scotland
Swimming: The U.S. preserved its perfect Duel in the Pool record by beating the European All-Stars in a tiebreaker race in Glasgow, Scotland. Both teams had 131 points after 30 events over two days. In the tiebreaker – a 200-meter mixed medley relay-Simone Manuel anchored the U.S. to victory.
Click here to comment on this story »