If you kept up with the news last week – or even if you didn’t – you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Test your memory with our newspaper version, then go online to spokesman.com/newsquiz
to take the interactive quiz. Top entries to the online quiz go into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries this week go into a drawing for movie tickets and four tickets to the EWU-Utah men’s basketball game on Feb. 16.
1. Last Sunday, the Lilac Festival crowned Brett Rountree as its queen. This year, 19 schools participated. What high school does the 2013 Lilac Queen attend?
A. Gonzaga Prep
C. Central Valley
D. Lewis and Clark
2. A nightclub fire in Santa Maria, Brazil, early last week killed more than 230 partygoers. The fire started when a band’s small pyrotechnics show ignited sound insulation material. It was the deadliest fire at a nightclub since:
A. 492 died at Cocoanut Grove in Boston
B. 309 were killed in Luoyang, China
C. 66 in Santika Pub in Thailand
D. 100 at The Station in Rhode Island
3. What former Inland Northwest football coach is now an offensive assistant for one of the teams in Super Bowl XLVII?
A. Chris Tormey
B. Dennis Erickson
C. Paul Wulff
D. Mike Price
4. Spokane Valley hired a new fire chief last week. What’s his name?
A. Andy Hail, of Spokane Valley
B. Bryan Collins, of Walnut Creek, Calif.
C. Randy Wheeler, of Sykesville, Md.
D. Brian Schaeffer, of Spokane
5. Which celebrity recently penned a children’s book that features a barnyard animal?
A. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin
B. Singer Lady Gaga
C. Actress Ashley Judd
D. NBA star Dennis Rodman
Check your work
Find the answers and last week’s winners on page B3.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.