ACAPULCO, Mexico – Authorities in Mexico say six men who were detained in the recent rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco have confessed to the crimes.
Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam says prosecutors have gathered evidence against them and another suspect who remains at large.
He said Wednesday that the men gave a complete recount of the attacks on Feb. 4, in a beach house on the outskirts of Acapulco where 12 Spanish tourists and a Mexican woman were staying.
The crime has further tainted the reputation of the Pacific resort, already damaged by gruesome beheadings and mutilations by drug cartels.
Authorities had already announced the detentions, which prompted family members to protest that they were simply scapegoats and demand their release.
Horsemeat scandal brings calls for more testing
BRUSSELS – European Union nations on Wednesday called for more intensive testing for a month to try to contain the scandal in which horsemeat was sold as beef.
The emergency meeting at EU headquarters included nations most affected by the horsemeat scandal that has swept through Europe, with millions of burgers and frozen meals recalled across the continent.
Ireland’s Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney suggested the scandal would likely spread further as more countries test beef.
Germany said Wednesday it had received a shipment of tainted frozen meals and Norway pulled products from its stores.
Ireland found horsemeat in burgers last month after routine testing.
“Once we got the positive test and the investigation was under way, obviously other countries followed suit,” said Coveney, who chaired the meeting. “As they tested they found that the problem has been getting bigger and bigger.”
The nations also proposed that investigations in Ireland, France, the Netherlands and other nations should now be coordinated by the EU’s Europol law enforcement agency.