Let’s stop the finger-pointing between the Spokane Police Department and the community. Please consider the following suggestions.
1) Establish a nonpartisan, functional Citizen Advisory Board that reports regularly to the mayor and City Council.
2) Make crisis intervention training (CIT) mandatory for all officers, especially incoming officers.
3) Authorize the ombudsman to subpoena witnesses and take testimony under oath.
4) Adequately fund the implementation of needed reforms within the department.
5) Address the cultural and ethnic tensions within Spokane to achieve understanding and communication on all sides.
6) Provide to the public an annual progress report on the Police Department’s revitalization efforts.
7) Authorize the current commission to remain active through 2014 in order to monitor progress.
Nine Mile Falls