February 18, 2013 in Nation/World

NATO to curb Afghan airstrikes

Coalition leader says forces will follow Karzai demand
Shashank Bengali Los Angeles Times
 
New Zealand

troops will stay

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – New Zealand has announced it will keep a small team of military personnel in Afghanistan to help coalition forces after it formally withdraws from the country in April.

The group of 27 will be primarily based in Kabul undertaking planning and intelligence duties. Included are three elite special-forces troops.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister John Key said today the country remains committed to international efforts to improve the security and prosperity of Afghanistan.

KABUL, Afghanistan – The commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan said Sunday that his forces were prepared to comply with President Hamid Karzai’s demand that Afghan forces stop requesting international airstrikes in residential areas.

Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. downplayed the impact of Karzai’s directive, even though Afghanistan’s fledgling security forces rely entirely on U.S. and NATO warplanes for air power against Taliban-led insurgents.

“We can continue to support the Afghan National Security Forces and meet the president’s intent,” Dunford said.

On Saturday, in a speech at the Afghan National Military Academy, Karzai denounced an Afghan-NATO attack last week in eastern Kunar province that local officials said killed 10 civilians, in addition to four Taliban commanders. The Afghan leader said he would issue a decree that “no Afghan military and security forces in any circumstances can ask for the foreigners’ planes for carrying out operations in Afghanistan’s homes and villages.”

The remarks represented the latest broadside by Karzai against the coalition that has trained, equipped and financed the force of 350,000 soldiers and police who are due to take responsibility for Afghanistan’s security later this year.

Civilian casualties have long been a point of contention between Karzai and the coalition, although NATO forces in recent months have implemented rules limiting airstrikes in populated areas.

U.S. officials say that civilian casualties in coalition operations fell 49 percent from 2011 to 2012 and that the number of children killed or wounded in air operations fell nearly 40 percent.

“We have constraints and restraints on each operation” to minimize civilian casualties, Dunford said.

Military analysts said that Karzai’s decree, if issued, could hamstring Afghan security units, very few of which are capable of operating without coalition support. This spring, say U.S. officials, Afghan security forces will take the lead in security operations nationwide, setting up a crucial test for the young force as insurgent operations usually pick up in the warm-weather months.

“It could provide ground for the insurgency to increase their areas of operations,” said Jawed Kohistani, an independent military analyst in Kabul. “We have the summer coming and insurgent activities may increase, which puts more pressure on Afghan forces.

“I hope that the Afghan security forces and their leadership convince the president that there is need for NATO air support.”

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus