A group of men threatened a man and his three children with a baseball bat and a handgun in a parking lot Saturday, authorities say.
The man was parked in his car near Division Street and Francis Avenue a little after 3 p.m. with his children ages 6 through 8, according to court documents.
The victim watched a white, four-door Mitsubishi pull up to his car. The man in the passenger seat, identified as Donavin S. Locher, 17, got out of the car, as did the man in the back seat, later identified as Dovin J. Sanders, 18, who was holding a baseball bat. Locher and Sanders threatened the victim and the children before Locher returned to the vehicle and came back with a handgun, according to court documents. Locher pointed the gun at them, and the two flashed gang signs, the victim told police. The two men returned to the Mitsubishi and fled the scene.
A third man driving the Mitsubishi was later identified as James A. Perry, 30, police said.
The victim said he later saw the same car traveling westbound on Rowan Avenue and called 911. He later positively identified the suspects, court documents say.
Judge James Triplet set both Locher’s and Sanders’ bond at $50,000 on first-degree assault charges.
Perry’s bond was set at $20,000 on assault and firearm charges.
Colville fifth-graders’ hearing postponed
The hearing to determine whether two Colville fifth-graders will stand trial for conspiracy to commit first-degree murder was delayed Wednesday to March 15.
At that hearing, prosecutors will present evidence in an effort to show Superior Court Judge Al Nielson that they have enough evidence to overcome the legal presumption that the boys, ages 10 and 11, don’t have the mental capacity to form the intent to commit crime.
The boys were arrested Feb. 7 at Fort Colville Elementary School after another student reported seeing one of the boys playing with a knife. A search revealed that one of the boys had a knife and a .45 caliber handgun in his backpack.
According to court records, the boys told a school staffer and police they were planning on killing at least one girl in their class at recess that day.
Copper wire stolen from Sea-Tac Airport
SEATAC, Wash. – Thieves stole 1,000 feet of copper wire from the approach lighting at Sea-Tac Airport.
The Federal Aviation Administration told KING the theft last week has caused no flight delays.
The lighting is for a runway approach that is seldom used in winter. The wiring is being replaced.
Port of Seattle police are investigating.
FAA spokesman Ian Gregor told the Seattle Times the metal thieves had to make it past two fences.