NBA: Danilo Gallinari led six Nuggets players in double figures with 17 points and host Denver stopped the Los Angeles Clippers’ franchise-record 17-game winning streak with a 92-78 victory on Tuesday night.
Kenneth Faried added 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Nuggets, who won their eighth in a row at home.
The Clippers, whose point total was two above their season-low, were hurt by poor shooting from 3-point range (5 of 29, 17.2 percent) and the free-throw line (13 of 29, 44.8 percent). They were led by Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe, who had 12 points apiece.
• Trailblazers edge Knicks: The visiting Portland Trail Blazers overcame Carmelo Anthony’s season-high-tying 45 points and spoiled Amare Stoudemire’s season debut, beating the New York Knicks 105-100.
Nicolas Batum scored 26 points, Damian Lillard had 21 points, six assists and five rebounds, and LaMarcus Aldridge had 19 points and 14 rebounds for Portland.
Stoudemire finished with six points on 3-of-8 shooting and one rebound in 17 minutes off the bench in his return from knee surgery.
• Holiday, Turner lead 76ers: Jrue Holiday had 26 points and 10 assists, Evan Turner added 22 points and 13 rebounds, and the visiting Philadelphia 76ers beat the Los Angeles Lakers 103-99.
The Lakers (15-16) have matched their worst start after 31 games since the 2002-03 season.
• Mavericks end skid: Vince Carter scored 23 points, O.J. Mayo and Darren Collison each added 15 to help the Dallas Mavericks break their six-game losing streak with a 103-94 win over the host Washington Wizards.
• Pistons win third straight: Greg Monroe had 18 points and 11 rebounds, and the Detroit Pistons held off the Sacramento Kings 103-97 for their first three-game winning streak of the season.
United, City roll to wins
Soccer: Manchester United and second-place Manchester City began the new year with emphatic victories in the Premier League.
United cruised to a 4-0 win at Wigan for its second straight shutout. City treated its home fans to a 3-0 decision over Stoke.
• Galaxy sign goalkeeper: The Los Angeles Galaxy signed Italian goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini from English Premier League club Tottenham.
No. 24 Aggies beat Owls
Miscellany: Kelsey Bone had 24 points and 14 rebounds and No. 24 Texas A&M beat Rice 80-57 in women’s basketball at College Station, Texas.
The Aggies (10-4) made 53 percent of their shots from the field and only attempted two 3-pointers, missing both.
• Sharapova injured: Maria Sharapova withdrew from the Brisbane International tennis tournament because of an injured right collarbone that left her unable to serve. She said she didn’t want to aggravate the injury with the Australian Open two weeks away.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.