Johnson’s 33 help Nets end OC win streak
NBA: Joe Johnson scored a season-high 33 points, Deron Williams added 19 points and 13 assists, and the Brooklyn Nets snapped Oklahoma City’s 12-game home winning streak by beating the Thunder 110-93 Wednesday night in a game featuring the first ejection of Kevin Durant’s career.
The Nets squandered a 23-point lead and allowed Oklahoma City to tie it at 85 before ripping off a 23-8 run to seize control right back. Durant was ejected near the end of the surge, arguing with Danny Crawford after the referee had already issued a technical foul against Kendrick Perkins.
• James, Wade lead Heat: LeBron James scored 32 points and finished one assist shy of a triple-double, Dwyane Wade scored 27 and the Miami Heat rallied both early and late before beating the visiting Dallas Mavericks 119-109 in overtime.
• Raptors finally beat Blazers: Terrence Ross scored a career-high 26 points, DeMar DeRozan had 24 and the host Toronto Raptors snapped an eight-game losing streak against Portland by beating the Trail Blazers 102-79.
• Curry hot in first half: Stephen Curry scored 25 of his 31 points in the first half, David Lee finished with 24 points and 13 rebounds and the Golden State Warriors coasted past the Los Angeles Clippers 115-94 at Oakland, Calif.
• Owner’s son found dead: The son of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been found dead of a possible drug overdose in Malibu, Calif.
Los Angeles County coroner’s Lt. Larry Dietz says 32-year-old Scott Ashley Sterling was found dead shortly after 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at a home on Pacific Coast Highway.
Boilermakers upset No. 11 Fighting Illini
College men: Terone Johnson scored a career-high 25 points and D.J. Byrd spurred a key 19-3 second-half run to send Purdue (7-6, 1-0 Big Ten) past No. 11 Illinois (13-2, 0-1) 68-61 at West Lafayette, Ind.
• Duke rolls to 13-0: Ryan Kelly scored 18 points to help No. 1 Duke (13-0) remain unbeaten with a 67-50 victory over Davidson (7-6) at Charlotte, N.C.
• Boeheim moves ahead of Knight: Jim Boeheim notched his 903rd career victory, breaking a tie with Bob Knight for second all-time among Division I men’s coaches, and No. 7 Syracuse (13-1, 1-0) rolled past visiting Rutgers (9-3, 0-1) 78-53 in a Big East opener.
Texas Tech defeats No. 13 Oklahoma St.
College women: Chynna Brown scored 15 points, including a tie-breaking 3-pointer with 45 seconds to play, and Texas Tech (11-2) defeated No. 13 Oklahoma State (11-1) 64-59 in a Big 12 opener at Stillwater, Okla.
Gaudrea’s hat trick sends U.S. into semis
Hockey: John Gaudreau had a hat trick, Riley Barber scored twice and the United States beat the Czech Republic 7-0 to reach the semifinals of the world junior ice hockey championship at Ufa, Russia.
The Americans will play Canada at Ufa Arena today. Defending champion Sweden will face Russia in the other semifinal game. Russia beat Switzerland 4-3.
• NHL talks run late: The NHL and the players’ association met deep into Wednesday night after the union made its second counteroffer of the week in an effort to end the season-long lockout.
Utah defensive end enters NFL draft
Miscellany: Utah defensive end Joe Kruger has opted not to return for his senior season and instead will enter the NFL draft.
• Jones’ wife files for divorce: The wife of former Atlanta Braves star Andruw Jones has filed for divorce about a week after she accused him of grabbing her neck and saying he wanted to kill her.
• No. 1 Azarenka wins opener: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka opened her 2013 tennis season with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Germany’s Sabine Lisicki to join No. 3 Serena Williams and fourth-seeded Angelique Kerber in the Brisbane International quarterfinals.