Lottery winner poisoned with cyanide
CHICAGO – The wife of a Chicago lottery winner who was poisoned with cyanide said Tuesday she was devastated by his death and cannot believe her husband could have had enemies.
Shabana Ansari spoke to the Associated Press a day after news emerged that 46-year-old Urooj Khan’s death in July was the result of cyanide poisoning and not natural causes, as authorities initially concluded. Prosecutors, Chicago police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office are investigating Khan’s death as a homicide, but they have not given any details.
Ansari would not talk about the circumstances of her husband’s death, saying it was too painful to recall. She said only that he fell ill shortly after they had dinner together.
Khan’s death on July 20 was initially ruled a result of natural causes. But a relative’s request for a deeper look resulted in the conclusion that Kahn was poisoned as he was about to collect $425,000 in winnings.
Ansari said her husband did not have a will and the money is now tied up in probate.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.