Nation/World

Conn. group seeks gun solutions

Sandy Hook Promise formed after school massacre

A month after a gunman invaded Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 children and six adults, a group of local residents in Newtown, Conn., is calling for efforts to make communities safer from gun violence.

A news conference is scheduled for Monday, the one-month anniversary of the shootings at the Connecticut school, a tragedy that has reignited the national debate on gun control.

A task force led by Vice President Joe Biden met last week with advocates on all sides of the thorny gun control issue and he has said he is hoping to have recommendations by this week.

Biden has offered to talk with any victims’ families who would like to speak with him personally, a support group said Saturday.

“If you choose to wait a few weeks, or months, the offer is still there,” the group called Sandy Hook Promise wrote.

White House officials have said they are communicating with local groups and the families in Newtown, Conn.

“We remain in touch with families from Newtown and will present an opportunity for all of them to share their views before the president makes any decisions,” White House spokesman Matt Lehrich said.

Sandy Hook Promise is planning to “ask individuals across the country to make a promise to encourage and support common sense solutions that make their communities and our country safer from acts of violence like that which occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14,” according to the Hartford Courant. The group was formerly known as “Newtown United,” the newspaper said.

The group was originally started to aid families of the children killed in the attack on the school by Adam Lanza, who first killed his mother at the home they shared. Adam Lanza killed himself after attacking the school.

Since the shooting, the group has broadened its focus, seeking a role in the national debate on gun violence. Founders of the group will be joined by victims’ family members, survivors of the shooting, first responders and other community members, the newspaper reported.

Meanwhile, Newtown’s schools superintendent is urging an indefinite police presence at the district’s schools to allay fears among parents and children about gun violence, according to the Newtown News Times. Two officers are on duty at each of the district’s six schools.

“I’ve told the police we need them,” Superintendent Janet Robinson told that newspaper last week.

Sandy Hook Elementary School remains closed. Students and staff are using a school in neighboring Monroe, Conn.

School officials say they’ve received nearly 300 emails, many voicing concern about long-term security and a police presence.



Click here to comment on this story »




Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile