January 15, 2013 in Nation/World

In brief: Clinton sets date for House testimony

From Wire Reports
 

WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will testify Jan. 23 before the House Foreign Affairs Committee about the deadly Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. mission in Libya.

That’s the word from Rep. Ed Royce, chairman of the panel. He said in a statement late Monday that Clinton will answer questions about the raid in Benghazi that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Clinton had been scheduled to testify last month but she suffered a concussion when she fell during an illness. She was later hospitalized with a blood clot in her head.

Bush released from Texas hospital

George H.W. Bush, the nation’s oldest former president, was released on Monday from a Texas hospital after nearly two months of treatment, his spokesman announced.

Bush, 88, was released from Methodist Hospital in Houston after being treated for bronchitis, a bacterial infection and a persistent cough, spokesman Jim McGrath said in a statement emailed to reporters.

“Mr. Bush has improved to the point that he will not need any special medication when he goes home, but he will continue physical therapy,” according to Dr. Amy Mynderse, the internal medicine physician in charge of his care.

“I am deeply grateful for the wonderful doctors and nurses at Methodist who took such good care of me,” Bush said in the statement. “Let me add just how touched we were by the many get-well messages we received from our friends and fellow Americans. Your prayers and good wishes helped more than you know, and as I head home my only concern is that I will not be able to thank each of you for your kind words.”

Bush and his wife, Barbara, spend winters in Texas and summers in Kennebunkport, Maine. He had been hospitalized since Nov. 23.

Shooting suspect charged as adult

FRESNO, Calif. – A 16-year-old student who was teased by his California high school classmates for his red hair, social awkwardness and bookish appearance was charged as an adult for allegedly wounding a classmate with a shotgun and trying to target another.

Bryan Oliver pleaded not guilty Monday to two counts of premeditated attempted murder and three counts of assault with a firearm in the attack Thursday at Taft Union High School that left another 16-year-old wounded.

Defense attorney David Torres said in court that Oliver did not waive his right to change his plea in the future. Oliver had been bullied by the two classmates he allegedly targeted, according to a witness who knows the teen.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus