A car fire spread to an apartment building in Spokane Valley on Sunday afternoon, destroying the car and causing minor damage to the building.
KHQ reported the apartment complex owner said smoke started to come from a vehicle in the garage of the Wilbur Road complex just after 1 p.m. People in the area were able to push the car out of the garage before it became engulfed, but flames spread to the apartment above.
The residents of the apartment are not able to stay there until it is repaired, KHQ reported, but the apartment complex put them in another unit until they can move home.
Holiday affects offices, services
The following offices and services are affected by the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday today:
• Most garbage service maintains normal schedules, but check your service provider. Waste Management, the city of Spokane, and all Kootenai County city and rural garbage pickup are not affected by the holiday.
• City, county, state and federal offices are closed.
• Post offices are closed.
• State liquor stores are open in Idaho.
• Most banks are closed.
B and D Foods recalling products
BOISE – A southwestern Idaho company is recalling 33,500 pounds of fully cooked meat and poultry products because of possible bacterial contamination.
The United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Saturday that Boise-based B and D Foods is recalling a variety of meat products that could be contaminated with listeria monocytogenes, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections.
Five different products containing beef, pork or chicken are being recalled. Idaho, Washington, California, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Montana, Arizona and Ohio have received some of the products.
The agency says the problem was discovered by the company through microbiological testing. The agency says no illnesses have been reported.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.