Molly Carolan honored by state principals group
Summit School’s Molly Carolan was named distinguished principal of the year for northeast Washington.
Carolan has worked in the Central Valley School District for 15 years. She started as a special education teacher and became a principal at Opportunity Elementary School. Last year she became Summit School’s principal.
She’s one of 18 elementary and middle school principals nominated this year for the Association of Washington School Principals.
The group will name one principal later this year as the nominee for National Distinguished Principal of the Year.
Nominees sought for CVSD service award
Central Valley School District is seeking nominations for its Meritorious Service Award.
The award honors groups and individuals who work toward student achievement in the district.
The school board encourages parents, students and district employees to submit nominations for the following categories: certified employee, classified employee, team or community group or member.
Deadline for nominations is Feb. 12. The board will announce a winner at its March 25 meeting. Nomination packets are online at www.cvsd.org or at schools.
Open house planned at Valley Christian
Valley Christian School is hosting an open house for prospective students next month.
Families and children in grade groups K-12 are invited to see what a typical class day is like on Feb. 15. The day begins at 8:10 a.m. and ends at 3:10 p.m.
To register for the open house, call (509) 924-9131 by Feb. 8. The school is at 10212 E. Ninth Ave.
Wall of Fame at CVHS grows
Central Valley High School has 13 new plaques on its Wall of Fame.
This is the fifth class of inductees, featuring coaches, athletes and teams from 1945 to 1993.
A committee of current and retired staff members reviewed nominations and chose this year’s Wall of Fame winners.
The honorees are:
• Harry Amend, class of 1963, head baseball coach 1970-’79, AAA coach of year 1974
• Courtney Hepton, class of 1992, all-league basketball player, 1992 GSL MVP
• Ron Knudsen, class of 1956; four-sport athlete, head boys basketball coach 1971-’78
• Brad Lewis, class of 1968, all-league basketball player, scored 991 career points
• Bill Pierce, class of 1962, official CV basketball scorekeeper for more than 30 years
• Dale Poffenroth, head girls basketball coach 1988-2004 with three state champion teams
• Duane Ranniger, class of 1956, three-sport athlete
• Steve Rasmussen, class of 1970, four-sport athlete, CVHS teacher and coach
• Stan Rhodes, class of 1957; four-sport athlete, Spokane Athlete of Year in 1957
• Chic Sale, class of 1945, standout basketball player, teacher, coach and official
• Bump Wills, class of 1970, three-sport athlete, professional baseball player
• Boys 1968 State Basketball Champions, head coach Ray Thacker
• Girls 1993 State Basketball Champions, head coach Dale Poffenroth