Arrow-right Camera

Fish smoker catches fire, causes thousands in damage

Thu., Jan. 31, 2013, 8:30 a.m.

An electrical fish smoker caused a fire early this morning that resulted in thousands of dollars in damage to a northwest Spokane home.

The Spokane Fire Department responded to the blaze just before 2 a.m. at 6018 North Greenwood Blvd. and found a single-story home with smoke showing at the rear and around the eaves, indicating the fire had already spread to the attic, according to Battalion Chief Craig Cornelius.

Crews quickly upgraded it to a working structure fire and verified everyone was out of the home, Cornelius said. The fire was under control within 20 minutes, but crews were on scene for more than two-and-half hours.

Investigators determined that a fish smoker on the back porch started the fire, which moved up the outside wall and into the attic, he said. The fire and smoke caused an estimated $35,000 to the kitchen, two bedrooms and rear attic.

No serious injuries were reported, but one occupant was treated for smoke inhalation. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Twenty-two firefighters responded.



There are four comments on this story »