Local news

Spokane man dead in Salmonella outbreak tied to hedgehogs

A Spokane man in his 90s is the first person to die in a national outbreak of Salmonella that’s been traced to contact with hedgehogs, the Spokane Regional Health District said today.

Seven cases of Salmonella infection in Washington have been linked to contact with hedgehogs.

The health district said in a news release that pet hedgehogs “are one of several animals that can carry Salmonella and other diseases, even when the animals do not appear to be sick.” People can become infected by handling their pets, or the hedgehogs can shed bacteria and contaminate cages, toys, bedding or surfaces, the release said.

The hedgehogs involved in the Salmonella outbreak were bought from several breeders; the one associated with the death of the man in Spokane County was bought locally, the health district said.

Nationally, 20 people in seven states have Salmonella infection linked to hedgehogs.



There are 14 comments on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile