July 10, 2013 in Nation/World

Egypt appoints interim prime minister, promotes elections timetable

Mcclatchy-Tribune
 
Associated Press photo

A supporter of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, with a national flag, gestures to army soldiers on guard at the Republican Guard building in Nasr City, Cairo, on Tuesday.
(Full-size photo)

Persian Gulf countries giving aid

CAIRO – Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday announced a total of $8 billion in economic aid to help shore up Egypt’s military-backed interim leaders after Islamist President Mohammed Morsi was removed in a coup last week. The Persian Gulf economic giants had eyed the Morsi government warily, worried that the rise of his Muslim Brotherhood movement would bolster Islamic extremists in their own countries.

CAIRO – Seeking to reassure the outside world after a turbulent week of street protests, Egypt’s military-backed interim leaders on Tuesday appointed a caretaker prime minister and urged citizens to support a six-month timetable to revise the constitution and hold fresh elections.

The announcement of Hazem Beblawi, a leading liberal economist, as prime minister ended days of confusion after the first choice for the post was abruptly withdrawn because of opposition from conservative Islamists. Nobel laureate Mohamed ElBaradei, the secular opposition leader who was reportedly the initial pick for the post, was named vice president of foreign affairs, a new position that would make him Egypt’s face to the West.

The appointments – and the relatively swift timetable for new elections – laid out the military’s road map to restoring democracy. But it came with a stark warning to end the unrest that followed last week’s military ousting of former President Mohammed Morsi.

The Obama administration said it was “cautiously encouraged” by the timeline, a further signal that it would not cut off $1.5 billion in annual U.S. aid to Egypt.

The military’s moves came as Egyptian prosecutors began interrogating hundreds of suspects in Monday’s bloody attack outside the Republican Guard headquarters in east Cairo, where soldiers fired on a pro-Brotherhood sit-in, leaving more than 50 Morsi supporters dead.

Brotherhood supporters continued to seethe from the incident, the deadliest in a week of clashes nationwide, and hundreds marched in a symbolic funeral Tuesday carrying empty coffins draped with the Egyptian flag.

Jeffrey Martini, a Middle East analyst at the Rand Corp., saw Tuesday’s announcements as a sign that the military understood it was at risk of alienating its Western backers. “They realized their position was precarious” after Monday’s killings, Martini said. “This is a statement that ‘we know we’ve overreached – we’ve got to do something to placate the international community.’ ”

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus