Fire severely damages home in Country Homes area
Tylor Eberle, 18, stood barefoot on the hot asphalt on Wednesday. Just feet from him, his house was engulfed in flames.
“I lost everything,” Eberle said as Spokane Fire Department and Fire District 9 battled the blaze at 6817 N. Normandie St.
Firefighters arrived at about 2 p.m. and worked for several hours to put it out.
Lt. Christian LiVecchi with District 9 said the house is “a total loss.” The fire spread to both floors of the house and did superficial damage to a neighboring home.
Eight people lived at the house: four adults, three teenagers and a 2-year-old. There were conflicting reports on how many people were inside when the fire started, but everyone was able to leave safely.
Though LiVecchi said firefighters were unable to determine a cause, Eberle said he believed the fire started when he had problems with the electrical breaker.
Eberle said power went out upstairs and he tried to turn it back on. He said the breaker popped and flames started in the attic of the house. Eberle ran through the house, helping everyone out and making sure his family was safe.
Red Cross representatives arrived on scene to help residents find a place to stay.