July 18, 2013 in City

Burned North Spokane house a total loss

By The Spokesman-Review
Dan Pelle photoBuy this photo

Spokane County Fire District 9 firefighters direct their attack at the rear of a burning house at 6817 N. Normandie St. on Wednesday in Spokane. Spokane Fire Department firefighters also fought the blaze.
(Full-size photo)

Map of this story's location

Tylor Eberle, 18, stood barefoot on the hot asphalt Wednesday. Just feet from him, his house was engulfed in flames.

“I lost everything,” Eberle said as Spokane Fire Department and Fire District 9 battled the blaze at 6817 N. Normandie St.

Firefighters arrived about 2 p.m. and worked for several hours to put it out.

Lt. Christian LiVecchi with District 9 said the house is a total loss. The fire spread to both floors of the house and did superficial damage to a neighboring home.

Eight people lived at the house: four adults, three teenagers and a 2-year-old.

There were conflicting reports on how many people were inside when the fire started, but everyone escaped safely.

Though LiVecchi said firefighters were unable to determine a cause, Eberle said he believed the fire started when he had problems with an electrical breaker.

Eberle said power went out upstairs and he tried to turn it back on. He said the breaker popped and flames started in the attic of the house.

Eberle ran through the house, helping everyone out and making sure his family was safe.

Red Cross representatives were on scene to help residents find a place to stay.

There are three comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email