Signed Hall of Fame Stanford women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer has received a new contract. The coach says she signed a new deal but did not offer specifics. She had two ye remaining on her previous contract, through the 2014-15 season. VanDerveer, who turned 60 last month, has a 742-152 Stanford record and 894-203 career mark.
• Michigan men’s basketball coach John Beilein has signed a new deal that keeps him with the Wolverines through the 2018-19 season. Michigan hired Beilein in March 2007, a week after he led West Virginia to the NIT championship. Last year, the Wolverines lost in the NCAA championship game to Louisville.
Suspended Chinese sportswear company Li-Ning has suspended its sponsorship of Asafa Powell after the Jamaican sprinter returned a positive doping test. The Beijing-based company said in a statement that it has “great respect for his efforts and hard work” but it was suspending its deal with Powell pending the outcome of a doping investigation.
Announced Shooting guard Malik Smith will be able to play for Minnesota this season after coming from Florida International with coach Richard Pitino. The university announced that the NCAA approved a transfer waiver for the 6-foot-2 Smith, who will be a senior. He averaged 14.7 points and 2.7 rebounds last season for FIU while setting a school record with 96 made 3-pointers.
• Connecticut and Boston College, two of the original members of the Big East, will meet in the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting the Wounded Warrior Project at Madison Square Garden. The other semifinal on Nov. 21 will have Indiana facing Washington.
• ESPN announced that Austin, Texas, has been selected as the next North American host city for the X Games, for four years beginning in 2014. The X Games will wrap up an 11-year run in Los Angeles with this summer’s event Aug. 1-4.
Rejected Chelsea’s bid to sign Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has been rejected by the English Premier League champion. The 27-year-old Rooney has been pushing for a move since expressing his frustration to the club about his lack of playing time at the end of last season.
Appealed FIFA President Sepp Blatter has reiterated his appeal to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter to avoid the searing summer heat. Blatter says “if this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can’t play football in the summer. You can cool down the stadiums but you can’t cool down the whole country.” Blatter said he will raise the issue with the executive committee.