July 20, 2013 in Nation/World

Police: Toxic levels of pesticide in kids’ lunch

Associated Press
 

PATNA, India (AP) — Police say samples of cooking oil and leftover food taken from an Indian school where 23 children died after eating lunch this past week were contaminated with “very toxic” levels of an agricultural pesticide.

Ravindra Kumar, the additional director general of police in the city of Patna, told reporters Saturday that forensic tests revealed that the samples contained the pesticide monocrotophos in levels that were “very toxic” for humans.

The free midday meal was served to the children Tuesday in Gandamal village in Masrakh block, 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Patna, the Bihar state capital.

Twenty-three children between the ages of 5 and 12 died from eating the meal and many others fell ill.

© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus