Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

In brief: Police say woman vandalized station

Spokane police arrested a woman early Sunday after she allegedly broke into a fire station and smashed windows with an ax.

Lillian Sowa, 27, was arrested on charges of burglary, assault and malicious mischief. She is accused of burglarizing Fire Station 3 at 1713 W. Indiana Ave. about 3:30 a.m.

Police said Sowa entered the building through an unlocked door, took an ax from a firetruck, broke out two large bay-door windows and tried to escape through a broken window.

Firemen opened another bay door as officers arrived, and the suspect ran out the door toward police brandishing the ax, according to a Spokane Police Department news release.

Officers subdued Sowa using a Taser and she fought with officers as they attempted to place her under arrest, police said.

4-year-old shot, dies; felon flees scene

SEDRO-WOOLEY, Wash. – A convicted felon is on the run in wooded rural Washington after a 4-year-old boy died Sunday of a gunshot wound at his home.

The man, 25-year-old Trevor Braymiller, is considered armed and dangerous, Sedro-Woolley police Chief Doug Wood said.

“He’s been in the area for quite some time,” Wood said. “He’s a convicted felon with a prior conviction for selling drugs,” Wood said.

Initial reports Sunday morning said the boy had shot himself with a gun, Wood said, but after a medical examiner looked at the boy, it was determined that was not the case. Wood said investigators are treating the case as a homicide.

Braymiller is believed to be moving on foot, with officers from several law enforcement agencies chasing him.

Sedro-Woolley is a town of about 10,000 people 70 miles north of Seattle.

Investigators believe Braymiller was not the boy’s father, but rather a father figure.

The boy’s mother was questioned and is now with her family.

The home is well-known to officers in the area. In 2011, police conducted a drug raid there, the Skagit Valley Herald reported.

Mount Olympus climber dies after fall

PORT ANGELES, Wash. – A spokeswoman for Olympic National Park said a 28-year-old man died after a fall while climbing near Mount Olympus’ summit Saturday.

Spokeswoman Barb Maynes said Richard Grey Liston of Portland was climbing with a companion near the summit on the east face of the mountain when he fell into an area of rocks and glacier.

The Peninsula Daily News reported other climbers in the area saw him fall. One of those climbers, a paramedic, reached the location and reported that he had died.

Using a helicopter, park officials were able to get the body off the mountain Saturday.