Kemp hot in return from D.L.
Matt Kemp has plenty of souvenirs from his return to the Los Angeles Dodgers lineup: three hits and one injured ankle.
Kemp homered and doubled in the same inning Sunday in his first two at-bats off the disabled list. He went 3 for 4 in the Dodgers’ 9-2 win over the Washington Nationals.
But he hurt his left ankle sliding into home plate on a force play in the ninth inning and limped off the field. Manager Don Mattingly said the injury appears to be a sprain, and he doesn’t think the injury will put Kemp back on the DL.
“No I don’t,” Mattingly said with a laugh. “That’s what I said last time, too.”
Kemp was still limping in the clubhouse. He had the ankle treated with ice, but he said no X-rays were planned.
“It’s not bad. I hope it’s not bad,” Kemp said. “The biggest thing will be tomorrow when I wake up and see how it feels.”
Kemp, who had been hindered by inflammation in his left shoulder after offseason surgery, was activated from the 15-day DL before the game. He couldn’t help but smile as he spoke about his latest possible setback.
“I’m always off and on. Play some games, sit out some games,” he said. “It is what it is, man.”
The game marked the first time that Kemp, Hanley Ramirez and Carl Crawford appeared together in the Dodgers starting lineup this season.
Dr. Andrews to have look at Buchholz
Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz is planning to see Dr. James Andrews for a lingering neck strain that’s had him on the DL since early June.
Manager John Farrell made the announcement before Sunday night’s game against the New York Yankees. He said the 28-year old Buchholz was expected to be on the field throwing when the team took batting practice, but he was going for a second opinion today regardless of the outcome of his workout.
Buchholz was off to a tremendous start this season, going 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA before the injury.
He suffered the injury after landing awkwardly, making plays on two grounders in a game against the Los Angeles Angels on June 8.
Blue Jays honor ex-slugger Delgado
Former Blue Jays first baseman Carlos Delgado was officially added to Toronto’s Level of Excellence before before the team took on visiting Tampa Bay.
The slugger, who hit 473 home runs in his 17-year career, becomes the 10th person to have his name added to the facade inside the Rogers Centre.
“Twenty years ago, on this very field, I started living a dream,” Delgado said. “I want to say thank you to the Toronto organization for giving me the opportunity to come to professional baseball.”
Delgado made his debut in 1993, the year Toronto won it’s second straight World Series title.
He became a full-time player in 1996, hitting 25 home runs and collecting 92 RBIs in 138 games.
Delgado, who played parts of 12 seasons with the Blue Jays, remains Toronto’s franchise leader in more than 10 offensive categories, including home runs, RBIs, doubles, runs and intentional walks.
Delgado’s 473 career homers and 1,512 RBIs are the most by a Puerto Rican-born player.
Lincecum looks to build on no-hitter
Tim Lincecum has tweaked his delivery, altered his workload between starts, changed his diet, and even his hair, trying just about anything in recent years to rediscover his old Cy Young form.
Maybe his first career no-hitter will do the trick.
“I think any time you throw that well, which he’s been throwing the ball well even before that, should do a lot for his confidence,” San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. “He’s in a good place. His delivery and where he’s at as far as confidence, I like where Timmy’s at.”
The two-time N.L. Cy Young Award winner will pitch tonight against the Cincinnati Reds, giving the fans at AT&T Park a chance to cheer his July 13 no-hitter at San Diego.
Lincecum is looking for his first win against the Reds in his fifth try after losing at Cincinnati July 2.
© Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.