Arrow-right Camera

Spokane

Geno’s fire started outside building

A fire that caused $100,000 worth of damage to Geno’s restaurant and nearby low-income housing originated outside the building, fire officials said today.

The investigation into the blaze, which began after 4 p.m. Saturday and displaced at least 14 residents at Sinto Apartments at 907 E. Sinto Ave., is continuing, Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said. Natural gas meters between the restaurant and apartment building fueled the fire, which took more than an hour to extinguish. No injuries were reported.

Investigators have not ruled out arson, Schaeffer said. Geno’s sustained smoke and water damage to its entire interior. Damage to the apartment building was concentrated on the second floor and roof.



Top stories in Spokane

Getting There: Spokane is booming. Time to figure out parking.

The last time the city of Spokane did a parking study might as well have been 1,000 years ago. It was 2010. There was no Kendall Yards. There was no South Perry District. We laughed at Seattle for its traffic woes. The economic downturn was still turned way down.